Saturday, July 8, 2017

Spotlight On...Darkest Powers by Kelley Armstrong

I reread the Darkest Powers series back in June. That's not all that surprising since I seem to reread it every year. What was surprising was how darn well it holds up after repeated readings. And how much is makes me want to go on a full series reread of Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld.

For those not familiar with Darkest Powers, it's a young adult series set in the Otherworld universe. It follows a group of supernatural kids who've had their abilities tampered with and are having some...odd issues pop up. The kicker? Some of the kids are completely aware of the supernatural community at all and these issues make them think they're a little crazy.

I am IN LOVE with the dynamic between shy, unassuming Chloe and loud, often commanding Derek. Derek's smart and has strong protective instincts, so he comes across as pretty much a jackass when we first meet him. But he learns from his mistakes and he helps push Chloe into pushing herself.

Anyway. I seriously adore this series AND book 1 is only .99. So, you know, GO FOR IT!

The Summoning (Darkest Powers #1)
My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost - and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House... before its skeletons come back to haunt me
Buy The Summoning @ Amazon (Only .99!!)


The Awakening (Darkest Powers #2)
If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl - someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment - not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters. I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control: I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends - a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch - and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.
Buy The Awakening @ Amazon

The Reckoning (Darkest Powers #3)
Chloe Saunders is fifteen and would love to be normal. Unfortunately, Chloe happens to be a genetically engineered necromancer who can raise the dead without even trying. She and her equally gifted (or should that be 'cursed'?) friends are now running for their lives from the evil corporation that created them.

As if that's not enough, Chloe is struggling with her feelings for Simon, a sweet-tempered sorcerer, and his brother Derek, a not so sweet-tempered werewolf. And she has a horrible feeling she's leaning towards the werewolf...

Definitely not normal.
Buy The Reckoning @ Amazon

Darkest Powers Tales
This full-length anthology of novellas and short fiction complements the Darkest Powers trilogy, adding new dimensions to the characters and their stories.

Dangerous returns to Derek and Simon’s past and tells how they came to be at Lyle House.

Divided continues Derek’s story, filling in his adventures with Simon while separated from Chloe.

In Disenchanted, Tori takes center stage as she travels with Simon after Chloe and Derek go missing.

Both Facing Facts and Belonging are set after the trilogy concludes.

In Facing Facts, Chloe helps Tori deal with the truth about her parents. Derek faces family issues of his own in Belonging, when his werewolf clan comes to claim him.
Buy Darkest Powers Tales @ Amazon

(Now, technically, the next short story is set AFTER the Darkness Rising trilogy [which is the trilogy after this trilogy that introduces a whole new set of characters], but it focuses on Chloe and Derek and I LUUUURVE them. So, yeah.)

Atoning (Darkness Rising #3.1)
Chloe's POV set after The Darkness Rising trilogy.

Chloe and Derek have adjusted to life in Badger Lake. It’s not perfect, but it’s safe and they’re learning the skills they’ll need when it comes time to make a decision about their futures. They’re comfortable and they’re settled . . . until a weekend camping trip with Maya and Daniel reunites them with someone they thought they’d left in the past. Someone Derek really hoped they’d left in the past, because as much as this former friend might want to atone for past mistakes, she’s nothing but trouble.
Buy Atoning @ Amazon

Kelley Armstrong
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

No comments:

Post a Comment