Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections by Annette Marie and Ron Jacobsen [Review]

Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections (The Guild Codex: Warped #2) by Annette Marie and Rob Jacobsen
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed through Kindle Unlimited
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: June 26, 2021

The Guild Codex: Warped
1. Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors
2. Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections - Paperback | Kindle
3. Rogue Ghosts & Other Miscreants
3.5. More Than a Little Warped
4. Stolen Sorcery & Other Misadventures
5. Mage Assassins & Other Misfits

Related Series:
(Find all the books in the series on the 1st book review)
The Guild Codex: Spellbound
1. Three Mages and a Margarita

The Guild Codex: Demonized
1. Taming Demons for Beginners

Annette Marie
Website | Amazon |

Rob Jacobsen
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Agent Kit Morris. Has a nice ring, doesn't it?

It's a big step up from "wanted criminal" or "that weird con-artist guy with weirder psychic powers"—both of which recently applied to me. But my promotion to MagiPol agent comes with a few drawbacks.

First, supremely talented and effortlessly gorgeous Agent Lienna Shen won't agree to a dinner date with me. Second, my new assignment has pitted me against a guild with very bad taste in pets. Third, those pets are demons, and those demons want to kill me.

My psychic magic is great for conning people. It doesn't do jack shit against hellish orcs. If I screw this up, my dinner date will be with a demon—and I'll be the dinner. Even better, I kind of suspect this supposedly straightforward assignment is actually the tip of an unholy iceberg of power-hungry malefactors bent on destroying all law and order in the city.

I should probably mention that last part to my boss.
Thoughts on Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections: Kit Morris is back and he's...well, he's in the middle of a bit of a tangle. With some shady goings-on popping up on the MPD radar (or at least on the captain's radar) and things a little dicey about Lienna's future in the city (something Kit is NOT okay with since Lienna's kinda a MPD bad-booty), Kit has to use his big brain (and substantial abilities) to try to get to the bottom of everything.

Which isn't easy, btw. Lienna's trying to keep her problems quiet and the Guild playing with demons is, well, a hot mess of epic proportions. Because demons. Demons with questionable contracts. Demons who aren't fooled by Kit's illusions and warping abilities.

Yeah, so Kit and Lienna are working on a dangerous case with little backup, a load of family issues Lienna is keeping close to the vest, and demons, demons, demons. Throw in how the Guilds rally around their own and things look a little bleak for the guy who can't quite pass his agent exam and the lady who will push herself hard to get a job done.

Am I digging these MPD agents? YOU BET I AM. Kit and Lienna are a solid team and I kind of love them together. Now Lienna has to get past her hang-ups about interoffice dating and all will be well in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment