Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
She doesn't see dead people, but ...

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.
My Thoughts: I love love love the twist on Celtic mythology here.  My only (teeny tiny) issue with it is that I kept reading bean sidhe as BEAN  sidhe instead of banshee.  Talk about causing me to come to a screeching stop while reading.  Lol!  The BEAN sidhe!  Ha!  Okay.  I'm over it.

I really liked the mythology of the bean sidhes that Rachel Vincent wove from the old legends.  The idea of a wailing woman who heralds death transplanted into the modern day and age is fascinating.  That bean sidhes have families and normal (if longer than average) lives was kinda cool.  They're not hiding away from the world in some dark cave, they're out there living.  I also really enjoyed the take on the males.  No, they aren't the heralds of death, but they have their own powers.

I thought Kaylee was surprisingly level-headed with all the stuff that was dumped on her.  Although I guess that figuring out you weren't crazy-cakes after all makes the idea that you're not human more palatable.  Her relationship with Sophie fell in the annoyingly realistic range.  Those two simply aren't alike.  Period.  They'll always be at each others throats because they expect such different things from life.  Even a brutal dose of reality at the end doesn't cure Sophie of her sense of entitlement.

I adored Nash from the first moment Kaylee laid eyes on him.  I loved that he sang to her to keep her calm.  I loved that he's a bit of a playboy but his intentions seem constant with Kaylee.  I liked that he was willing to go public that they were together in front of his jock friends.  I get that peer pressure can be brutal and all that, but it becomes irksome when the hot guy or girl exhibits shame when seen in public with the not quite as popular love interest.  It's a thing I have.

All in all, I found this book to be fun and interesting.  I loved so much about the different characters and the world they deal with constantly that I could barely put the book down.  I can't wait to see more about the Netherworld and the beasties that inhabit it.  Plus, there's that whole Nash and Kaylee thing.  :)

And hey, isn't that UK cover gorgeous?

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Reaper

More books by Rachel Vincent

No comments:

Post a Comment