Saturday, June 30, 2012

2012 Why Buy the Cow? Reading Challenge: July Reviews

This post is for participants of the 2012 Why Buy the Cow? RC to link their reviews for JULY.


Welcome to the seventh month of the 2012 Why Buy the Cow? Reading Challenge!

This month’s prize is:
A $10 Gift Card for Amazon*

June’s winner was: Amanda @ On a Book Bender
The halfway point winner was: Amanda @ On a Book Bender
Congratulations, Amanda!

If you haven’t signed up for the Why Buy the Cow? RC yet, you can here. Or read more about the challenge here. Anyone is welcomed to join at any time.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING RULES CAREFULLY, AS THOSE THAT DO NOT ABIDE BY THEM WILL NOT BE ENTERED IN THE DRAWING FOR THE MONTHLY PRIZE.
Rules for linking your JULY reviews. If your link does not meet these guidelines, it will be removed. Please note the following:
  • Galley e-books, ARCs, library books, Amazon Prime, and books you’ve won DO NOT count for this challenge. This challenge is for FREE, legal downloads that anyone would have access to if they visited the open to the public source.
  • When you post your book review, you MUST reveal how you obtained the free e-book. Please make your source clear. We DO NOT condone illegal downloading/pirating of e-books.
  • Below, paste the direct link to your review. Home page links will be removed. Reviews can be from your blog, goodreads, Shelfari, LibraryThing, Amazon, or any other public forum or website.
  • The prize is only for those that are participating in this reading challenge. Please make sure that you have officially signed up here before linking a review.
  • Winner will be selected at the end of the month using random.org and will not be obligated to accept the prize. *Amazon GC can be substituted for B&N or The Book Depository if the winner prefers.
  • Please leave the Book Title, Author Name, & Your Blog Name or your name with your review post link. Ex: Changeling Moon by Dani Harper (TUR)
Informational Tidbits:
Freebie Read-Along: Join Missie and I in the Fairy Metal Thunder Read-Along/Scavenger Hunt. Fairy Metal Thunder by J.L. Bryan is currently free through Amazon, Smashwords and most (if not all) other online stores.

Doin' It Dirty read-a-thon: Mark your calendars because July 20th is the Doin' It Dirty read-a-thon hosted by myself and Amanda @ On a Book Bender. This is a 12-hour naughty read-a-thon that will give you a chance to clear out some of those naughty freebies that have been piling up on your ereader. I'll be posting a recommendation list on or around July 12th (the sign-up day) with suggestions for both freebies and inexpensive erotica.

Freebie Alert: Currently free: J.L. Bryan's Jenny Pox and Fairy Metal Thunder, Sarra Cannon's Beautiful Demons, Megg Jensen's Sleepers, Karina Halle's Darkhouse (a favorite series of mine!) and Tina Folsom's Samson's Lovely Mortal.

The Wannabe Vampire by Alex Taylor will be free at Amazon from July 13th - 15th.

Looking for some spicy paranormal romance? Felicity Heaton's In Heat series (In Heat & In Heat: Mating Call) will be free at Amazon July 6th - 8th.

The Geek Job by Eve Langlais is free through All Romance Ebooks for a limited time beginning July 10th.

Did you know...?: Many authors have freebie short stories available on their sites. Check your favorites and see if they have any tidbits to tease you with.
Some of my favorites: Vivian Arend (who, incidentally, also has a sexy freebie on Amazon), Kelley Armstrong (who has an awesome name AND writes awesome books), J.R. Ward (read the stories, but hands off Rehvenge!) and so many more!

Why Buy the Cow? Monthly Read-Along: What do you want to read this month? Leave a comment with your vote and let's get our read on! I'll announce the winning book around the 7th or 8th, so vote early!
This month's read-along: Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory!

JULY Reviews:

Please leave the Book Title, Author Name & Your Name/Blog with your review post link.
Ex: Changeling Moon by Dani Harper (TUR)




14 comments:

  1. Yay Amanda! Umm... that first review posted up there... it's mine. I didn't put it on my blog yet so it's my Goodreads review. I'll do better next time.... promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my fault. I chose the wrong option for showing the link. I've fixed it now. Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Whew! I was afraid that I screwed up ;) It's been known to happen. JR Ward has freebies? How did I miss that? Moira Rogers does too... I might have actually downloaded a couple of those.

      Delete
    3. The J.R. Ward freebies are more like... snippets. They're fun but they can't standalone. I don't know that I'd personally consider counting them as "books read" but I needed examples of authors that had freebie reads on their sites and she sprung to mind.

      Lol! I had forgotten about Moira Rogers! I have EVERYTHING by her (them) so... yeah. I had forgotten. I should start a spreadsheet of all the authors I come across with freebies available. Hmmm.

      Delete
  2. I know I said I wasn't allowed to vote anymore, but how can you go wrong with Gnome on the Range?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED the name. Hence I put it on the list as a possibility! Lol!

      Delete
  3. OK, here's my vote. It's actually between Twenty Eight and a Half Wishes and The Mind Readers because #1 I have them both on my Kindle already and #2 I'm cheap and as great a title as Gnome on the Range is, it isn't FREE! So.... *tosses coin* Twenty Eight and a Half Wishes won the toss! (FYI - I really did toss a coin ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Twenty Eight and a Half Wishes is no longer free either, I added another choice. Dang, those books go from free to pricey in a heartbeat!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I just got Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble this week, so I'll change my vote to that. ;)

      Delete
  4. Hmm... looks like 'Doin' it Dirty' helped more than one of us up our July count for 'Why Buy the Cow.' LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like my blog is not cooperating again. I do have a post for Fairy Metal Thunder. I had to hit home to get to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may work better.
    http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1590911410076398634#editor/target=post;postID=7103456406457073532

    ReplyDelete