Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: The Darkest Secret by Gena Showalter

The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7) by Gena Showalter
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: June 2, 2012

Lords of the Underworld
0.5. The Darkest Fire
1. The Darkest Night
2. The Darkest Kiss
3. The Darkest Pleasure
3.5. The Darkest Prison
4. The Darkest Whisper
4.5. The Darkest Angel
5. The Darkest Passion
6. The Darkest Lie
7. The Darkest Secret - Paperback | Kindle
8. The Darkest Surrender
9. The Darkest Seduction
10. The Darkest Craving
11. The Darkest Touch
12. The Darkest Torment
13. The Darkest Promise
14. The Darkest Warrior
14.5. The Darkest Captive
14.6. The Darkest Assassin
15. The Darkest King
15.5. The Darkest Destiny

Related Series:
(find all the reviews for the series under the first review)
Angels of the Dark
1. Wicked Nights

Rise of the Warlords
1. The Warlord

Gena Showalter
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Keeper of the demon of Secrets, Amun can manipulate the darkest thoughts of anyone nearby. But when the immortal warrior is chained and isolated to protect those he loves, death is his only hope of release—until he meets Haidee, a fellow prisoner whose beauty and hidden vulnerability draw him into a reckless test of his loyalty.

Haidee is a demon-assassin, raised to despise Amun's kind. Yet how can she hate the man whose touch sets her aflame? But to save him, she must give herself body and soul...and face the wrath of a powerful adversary sworn to destroy her.
My Thoughts: Why do I wait so long between books in this series? WHY? I solemnly swear that I will read the next book very, very soon because I enjoyed this one so damn much.

Now, I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did. I think this was mostly because Amun had been sort of this unknown element. Sure, I knew what his demon could do but the fact that he never spoke made him a mystery. A great big hunk of mystery who turned out to be full of awesome. I seriously wasn't expecting that. There was so much going on under his silence that it was riveting. I loved that he embraced his demon side, despite the complications it caused him, and relied on it. I loved that his demon was the reason Haidee was able to regain some of her memories.

And Haidee... oh, Haidee. I had a hard time imagining how a Hunter, the very one who had helped destroy one of the Lords, could be likeable. But she was. The reasons for her hatred worked. The reasons for her connection to Amun worked. Her complete entrancement by Amun and the accompanying sexual tension worked. In a big way. I love it when two characters have chemistry that sizzles (in the words of Haidee) and these two were sizzling left and right AND down the middle. Rawr!

I also might kinda, sorta love Strider at the moment. His whole "I'm so perfect" schtick could have been incredibly annoying and egotistical but it had me grinning like a fool on more than one occasion. I loved the "vacation" he took with William and Paris and the resulting shenanigans. Those three are a bleeding menace when they get together. And it's awesome to read.

While this book didn't advance the overall arc all that much, it surprised me by making me care so much for Amun and Haidee. I wasn't expecting it and that was fabulous! Now, onto the next book!

4 comments:

  1. Heh. I'm amused that I just saw a "try gmail" ad on your blog.

    I need to read this series. I am behind the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha!

      Yes, you should read this series. It's so fuuuuunnnnnn!

      Delete
  2. I was also pleasantly surprised by this book. I liked Amun and it was cool that he was sort of this enigma, but he was so much more noble and interesting than I expected.

    I also didn't expect to like Haidee at first. I am, obviously, Team Lords so I was totally prejudiced against her for being a Hunter but like you said, it worked!

    Oh and Stridey, I love his arrogant, vain, narcissistic but funny as hell ass! That pool scene with him, Paris and William was the best evah!! I literally guffawed at that scene :)

    I love that you love these books so much!
    ♥Isalys / Book Soulmates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pool scene was freaking HILARIOUS! <3 <3 <3

      I do love them. They make me happy!

      Delete