My Take: Couple of things: It took me two months to finish this book. TWO.MONTHS. I just ... I don't have words. I usually read a book a day. Maybe it'll take two days. But two months? Arrgh. Not cool. It's even sadder that it's a re-read. Re-reads are fast. Usually. The next thing is that Amazon lists this book as Book #8 in the Carpathians series while Goodreads has it as Book #9. It's enough to make a girl's head spin.
So, why did this book take me so long to finish? I don't know. It's a decent book. I like the series. The one thing I keep coming back to is that reading these books is like walking through quicksand- every turn of the page is a struggle. Everything is epic and mind-blowing and there are no easy days in this universe. It's hard to maintain that level of reading intensity. Some days you just want to have a silly Jace and Clary interaction. And yet, you have to keep slogging through the epicness until you get to the final climactic battle.
That said, this isn't a bad book. I can't exactly say that it progresses the overall Carpathian's story arc but both Lucian and Jaxx are fun characters. This is just one of those series/books that you have to be in the right frame of mind to read.
More books by Christine Feehan
Fall Catch-Up Read-A-Thon (9/20-9/26): original post:
- Touching Darkness (Midnighters #2) by Scott Westerfeld (reviewed 09/21/10)
- Blue Noon (Midnighters #3) by Scott Westerfeld
- Devil's Due (Red Letter Days #2) by Rachel Caine
- A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle #1) by Libba Bray
- Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins (reviewed 09/21/10)
- ADDED: Dark Guardian (Carpathians #9) by Christine Feehan (reviewed 09/22/10)