Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games (Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins


Synopsis (via Goodreads): Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love. 


My Take: Yes, everyone I know has already read and loved this series.  I had a reason for waiting to start it.  A good reason.  A valid reason.  I don't remember it at all anymore.  I don't know why I waited.  I just ... don't.  I do vaguely recall telling myself that I'd wait until the 3rd book came out so I wouldn't suffer a serious cranial implosion waiting to find out what happened.  Then after I bought all three books I refused to start them until I finished draft 0 of my novel.  I was trying to use it as incentive to get my damn book finished.  And it worked.  The book is done.  I've started the series.

Damn!  I knew I was going to love it.  I knew it!  I have a deep weakness for books about broken societies.  And if this society doesn't fit that bill, I don't know what does.  However, you can have all the awesome world-building/crumbling moral civilizations/etc and still not have a good book if you don't have something that draws you into caring about the characters.  For me, it was Katniss' complete cluelessness where Peeta was concerned.  She just didn't see.  And it worked.  You might have wanted to smack her upside the head once or twice but at the same time you wanted her to figure it out.

If I had been reading this series as they came out, I think I might have Hulked out at not knowing what happens next.  I guess it's a good thing that I've got book #2 in my hot little hands.  Guess what I'll be doing tonight.  And it doesn't involve Frodo or The Lord of the Rings.  Strange, but true.

More books by Suzanne Collins

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment