Monday, January 17, 2011

Review: Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law #1) by J.A. Saare

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
One bad corpse can ruin your whole day.

No one knows that better than Rhiannon Murphy.

She left behind the flash and sass of Miami for the no-nonsense groove of New York City, eager for a clean slate and a fresh start. A bartender by trade, a loud mouth by choice, and a necromancer by chance; she managed to keep her nifty talent hidden from those around her—until now.

The deliciously good-looking vampire, Disco, knows her secret. When he strolls into her bar to solicit help investigating the mysterious disappearances of his kind from the city, Rhiannon discovers he’s not the kind of person that appreciates the significance of the word no.

But in a world where vampires peddle their blood as the latest and greatest drug of choice, it’s only a matter of time before the next big thing hits the market. Someone or something is killing vampires to steal their hearts, and unlike Rhiannon, this isn’t their first stroll around the undead block.
My Thoughts:  I feel like I've had a run of really great books that I've been reading lately.  Part of that, I think, is that I'm picking up books that some of my fellow book bloggers have enjoyed and highly recommend.  One of the great things about this is finding all these wonderful new authors that I might not have tried otherwise.

The reason I mention this is that I've read some really outstanding books in the past month.  Really outstanding.  Like, I don't know why I didn't give these books a try before now.  This book, guys, blew me away.  Utterly.  Completely.

Rhiannon is a brash, sassy, asskicker who can hold her own when she needs to.  She has a dirty mouth and more trust issues than you can shake a stick at.  With good reason, might I add.  She has a bucket of untapped talent and a burning desire to fly under the radar.  When she's forced into helping Disco and his family, she doesn't accept it gracefully.  She goes into it kicking and screaming... but she does help.  The farther into the world of the supernatural she gets pulled, the more she sees that she has to help because no one else can.

Here's a confession: I've been feeling a little down on the vampire love lately.  I like vampires, don't get me wrong, but it seems like a lot of vampire characters just keep retreading the same old groove.  I fell hard for Disco, though.  He's got charm and looks and an easy sort of power.  I just wanted to see him happy.  And if happy happens to be in bed with Rhiannon, so be it.  He deserves it, guys.  He really does.

So, yeah.  I loved this book.  From the first glimpse of Rhiannon to her first interaction with the delectable Disco right on through to the phenomenal end scene.  I loved it all.  Speaking of that ending ... I still can't get it out of my head.  As I was reading it, I swear all the oxygen got sucked out of the room and I forgot how to breathe.  I just ... whoa.  Just, whoa.

I really can't wait to see where Rhiannon's adventures take her next.

More books by J.A. Saare

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment