Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Review: Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis #1) by Gena Showalter

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Searching for her missing brother, Grace Carlyle never dreamed she would discover a secret world populated by mythological monsters--or find herself facing a sword-wielding being whose looks put mortal men to shame.

But there he was, Darius en Kragin, one of a race of shape-shifting warriors bound to guard the gates of Atlantis, and kill all travelers who strayed within its borders.

Now Grace's life was in his hands, and Darius had to choose between his centuries-old vow and the woman who had slipped beneath his defenses and stolen the heart of Atlantis's fiercest dragon.
My Thoughts:  As part of my Read-'til-my-eyes-bleed week of reading decadence, I decided to dive into the Atlantis series.  And let me tell you it was the perfect way to start off my reading binge.  Shapeshifting warriors, mythical lands and sexy time between our main characters!

I liked the mythology that was used.  I liked the feral warriors that protect Atlantis.  I liked Darius and his frozen wasteland of a soul.  I liked Grace and her longing for adventure.  I liked the epic battle.  In fact, there really wasn't much of anything I disliked.  I wouldn't have minded more time getting to know the rest of the Dragon warriors or seeing what made the Vampire king tick, but I'm patient.  I'll let those things play out in the next few books.

As I've more than likely demonstrated with every review involving a tormented hero, I really like those strong, tortured types.  Toss a sword in his hand and I'm putty.  Get him into bed with our heroine and I melt.  Metaphorically speaking.  Darius pretty much hit all my hot buttons.  Strong?  check.  Silent?  check.  Tormented?  check.  Sword?  More than one!

All in all, I really enjoyed losing myself in this world.  The action moved quickly and there was a lot of setup for what's to come.

More books by Gena Showalter

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too. First time I had encountered dragon-shifters!

    ReplyDelete