Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: Zombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Ashby

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Quiet, unpopular, non-cheerleading Mia is blissfully happy. She is dating super hot football god Rob, and he actually likes her and asked her to prom! Enter Samantha—cheerleading goddess and miss popularity— who starts making a move for Rob. With prom in a few days, Mia needs to act fast. So she turns to her best friend, Candice, and decides to do a love spell on Rob. Unfortunately, she ends up inflicting a zombie virus onto her whole class, making herself their leader! At first she is flattered that everyone is treating her like a queen. But then zombie hunter hottie Chase explains they are actually fattening her up, because in a few days, Mia will be the first course in their new diet. She's sure she and Chase can figure something out, but she suggests that no one wear white to prom, because things could get very messy.
My Thoughts:  I finished Shadowfever this morning and had to take a deep breath after the intensity and incredible storytelling that KMM gave us.  Naturally, the book I decided to read is about as far from the convoluted epicness of that series as... I can't even think of a synonym.  I just can't.  These books are so different that there are no parallels.  I mention this because I might be doing this book a disservice after reading one that sucked me in and wrung me out.  If  ramble a bit, forgive me.

First off, Zombie Queen is definitely a YA book.  The writing tends toward the more streamlined, simplistic storytelling that makes these books a very quick read for me.  The characters, while likable, are never going to win points for being deep thinkers.  Chase was the one character that did stand out as having the potential to grab me and keep my attention.  Despite his extremely rigid, by-the-rules attitude he had a bit of spark hidden away.  Mia, on the other hand, was ... shallow.  Trust me when I say that I understand that I'm reading a YA book and the characters aren't all going to be philosophers who are pondering the nature of the universe.  I guess I expect someone who unwittingly triggers a zombie outbreak because she can't stand the idea of being dumped right before prom to have a little more ... I don't know.  A little more internal conflict over what she's done.

Shoot, if I accidentally turned my best friend into a zombie, I'd be wailing and hysterical.  But that was just that one time and I totally manned up afterward and saved the day despite my fears of being gnawed on by flesh eaters.

It's a light, fast, nothing-too-deep-here read.  Which ended up being exactly what I wanted after the emotional roller coaster of Mac and Barrons.

More books by Amanda Ashby

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment