Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review: Don't Die Dragonfly (The Seer #1) by Linda Joy Singleton

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
After getting kicked out of school and sent to live with her grandmother, Sabine Rose is determined to become a "normal" teenage girl. She hides her psychic powers from everyone, even from her grandmother Nona, who also has "the gift." Having a job at the school newspaper and friends like Penny-Love, a popular cheerleader, have helped Sabine fit in at her new school. She has even managed to catch the eye of the adorable Josh DeMarco.

Yet, Sabine can't seem to get the bossy voice of Opal, her spirit guide, out of her head . . . or the disturbing images of a girl with a dragonfly tattoo. Suspected of a crime she didn't commit, Sabine must find the strength to defend herself and, later, save a friend from certain danger.
My Thoughts:  There were parts of this book that I really, really enjoyed- namely Sabine's visions and the mysterious Dominic- and then there were parts that I never quite connected with.

To start with, Josh is the most freaking perfect person EVER.  The guy volunteers at a Children's Hospital for Pete's sake.  He doesn't lose his temper.  He doesn't have any vices that were mentioned.  He's... perfect.  And let's face it, Mr Perfect would be nice in real life but in a story he's just boring.  That right there was the problem: I never got a sense of chemistry between Sabine and Josh.  She has these great, life-defining secrets and he's an open book.

Dominic, on the other hand, was layered and surly and infinitely more interesting.  His past is muddled and painful and I'd rather read about him than Perfect Josh.  Sadly, Dominic wasn't even presented as a love interest in this book.  I can see it happening somewhere down the road but Sabine spent the better half of the book despising him for breathing.  Which was kinda cool, unto itself.

Now Sabine... I liked her visions.  I liked that she was willing to put aside her fears and try to help when she could.  The downside is that I never felt like she was a high school kid.  The sense of conflict she felt over her gift was presented but it not really fleshed out.  She was too poised most of the time.  I (vaguely) remember high school and I sure as hell didn't have anything as volcanic as a psychic gift to deal with and I was still fumbling my way through the dark more often than not.  She wasn't.  It took me out of the story, honestly.  I could have done with more angst and less poise, I guess.

Overall, I liked the book but I wasn't wowed by it.  I am curious as to where Dominic will end up and how he'll put his past behind him but I could do without Josh and his perfect perfection.  If Sabine's visions are consistently of the bloody, violent variety I'd be all over the next book.

More books by Linda Joy Singleton

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment