Sunday, March 13, 2011

Review: The Perfect Play (Play by Play #1) by Jaci Burton

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
The last thing event planner Tara Lincoln needs is the jet-set lifestyle of a football pro like Mick Riley; even though their steamy and passionate one-night stand proved that Mick is an all-star-both on the field and in the bedroom.

Tara played the game of love once and lost big, and she doesn't intend to put herself out there again, especially with a certified heartbreaker. But when Mick sets his mind to win, nothing will stop him. And he has the perfect play in mind to catch this sultry vixen.
My Thoughts:  Holy Hannah!  This book was hot!  The cover alone should have warned me of that but I foolishly believed that nothing could live up to the drool worthiness of that cover.  Boy, was I wrong.  Seriously, guys, the hotness factor goes up exponentially the further you get into Mick and Tara's story.  *fans self*

Now, I feel like I should back up a few steps and admit to something.  Two somethings, actually.  The first one is that I don't normally care for contemporary romance books unless there's some sort of paranormal twist.  This book was straight contemporary, no twists.  The second thing I need to admit is that under normal circumstances I actively avoid any books that have a sports storyline.  I mean, I go out of my way to not read them.

Yet, I was sucked in by the cover on this one and came out of it smiling.  Which just goes to show that you should totally judge a book by its cover.  Totally.

Mick is strong, determined, and committed to keeping himself in the best physical condition he can..  He has secrets, sure, and he's not willing to spill them at the drop of a hat (or a pair of panties) but can you blame him?  Would you want all your dirty laundry aired to the world at large if you were foolish enough to tell someone who realized they could sell it to the tabloids for a few bucks?  I think not.  Fortunately for Mick, Tara knows all about powering through in the face of adversity.  She pulled herself up when she hit a low point in her life and she's made something of her life.

I really liked that Tara wasn't afraid to tell Mick what she liked in bed.  She wasn't intimidated by his fame, she liked the man underneath.  Mick saw what he wanted and went for it.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm going to throw myself headlong into contemporary romances with a sports-themed bent, but I wouldn't be adverse to reading more by Jaci Burton in this series.  Because yum.

More books by Jaci Burton

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad this book is good as I have seen it on a few reviews and had to buy it!!!

    Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete