Monday, April 25, 2011

Review: The Demon Queen and the Locksmith by Spencer Baum

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Kevin panicked when his ears began to buzz. He couldn't be a Hearer. The Hearers were the town freaks. Worse, his dad was one of them, and Kevin's greatest fear was that one day he might turn into his father. In Turquoise, New Mexico, a small but notorious group of hippies believe that the mountain north of town emits a constant, resonant hum that is only audible to a chosen few. They call themselves the Hearers, and fourteen-year-old Kevin Brown has never trusted them. But when a carefree afternoon with his friends comes to a surprise finish at the spot where Kevin spread his mother's ashes only a year before, a place where the open air seems to resonate in Kevin's ears, he realizes he might be a Hearer too, and "The Turquoise Hum" might be much more than a sound.
My Thoughts: I have one word of advice for you with this book: Don't let the title fool you.  Trust me on this.  I let this one linger on my Kindle for months after picking it up as a freebie because I kept thinking "I don't know if I want to read about a demon queen and a locksmith."  I mean, the title tells you exactly what the book's about yet at the same time it doesn't really do the book justice.  This book was interesting and intriguing and it wasn't at all as silly as I thought it was going to be based on that title.

And that last sentence makes me sound like a title snob or something.  I don't even know if they're such thing as a title snob but if there is, apparently I'm it.  Here's the thing, when I picked up this book I thought it was going to be very juvenile.  Yes, it is a young adult book but it's far from juvenile.  Like I said, it's interesting.  And there are lots of bugs.  I hate bugs.  But I liked reading about them and seeing how they fit into this story.

Okay.  Enough about the title.  Seriously, there's more to the book than the title.  I swear.

The entire book is interesting and imaginative.  It's different enough from what I've been reading lately that it caught my attention from the first page and kept me hooked.  It does indeed have a demon queen and it does indeed have a locksmith.  Both of those individuals are critical to the plot.

I don't know.  I liked the book.  Yay!

More books by Spencer Baum

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment