Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review: The Thirteenth Chime (Sense of Truth #1) by Emma Michaels

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Destiny has finally found the life that she has always wanted. She is about to finish college, has a fiance that loves her, and a great summer on the West Coast planned with her friend, Stephanie. But her world is turned upside down when an antique clock mysteriously chimes thirteen times and someone attacks them, sending Stephanie and her mother to the hospital.

Alone, and without any help from the police, Destiny has no choice but to turn to the one man she had left behind a year ago - her ex-boyfriend, David. Together, they must solve the riddle of the thirteenth chime before the clock strikes thirteen again. Yet as they face their own past and hearts, a trap over half a century old is waiting for them to become its prey.

For revenge, fifty years is never too long...
My Thoughts:  This is another book that I'm torn about how I feel about it.  I really liked the idea behind it and I liked how the mystery of the clock was tied up but I wasn't invested in the story until David started uncovering answers and things turned sort of macabre.  What can I say?  I like creepy, bloody, dangerous things.

As far as the characters go (and I'm going to be a bit vague so I don't spoil anyone), I was expecting more of a connection between David and Destiny.  They're relationship is complicated but it seems like they (and by that I mean mostly Destiny) blew hot and cold without provocation.  Here's the thing, while it aggravated me a bit to read about, I totally get it.  I get being able to see the best path to take with a person (be they a friend or otherwise) but being unable to take the final step one way or another.  Indecision can be a bitch, can't it?  So, while I was sometimes a bit surprised by the twists their relationship took and at times I found it a bit aggravating, I did think it rang true to life and I enjoyed it.

There were several questions I had that I'm not sure were answered (mostly along the lines of: how did the clock get where it ended up?) and I wouldn't have minded even more of a creep factor but seeing as I'm slightly obsessed with Zombies at the moment you can't hold that against me.  Like I said, I really like the idea Emma Michaels had going on here, I just wish the entire book could have hit the level that the end did.  As this is part of a series, I'm curious to see what direction book two will take and how the relationships will play out.

As an aside, I think this is a stunning cover.  Easily one of the more striking ones I've seen lately.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds interesting, but I think the cover is what does it for me. If I ever add it to my TBR pile, it'll be for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete