Sunday, June 5, 2011

Review: Biting the Bride by Clare Willis

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Sunni Marquette has always been a little different. There's the whole mind-reading thing, for a start, which comes in useful for a criminal defense attorney. Except that lately, Sunni keeps encountering people who are immune to her gift. Like Jacob Eddington, the star witness in her latest case.

My Thoughts:  Okay.  Wait.  This synopsis does not match up AT ALL with this book.  Except the names.  The names are right.  Don't you hate it when that happens?  I not only hate it, I find it very distracting.  I mean, I know I shouldn't let something like that take away from my enjoyment of a book but it does.  Wait, it doesn't take away from my enjoyment.  It's more like... when I see something like that I start to wonder that if something so public as the synopsis is incorrect, what sort of inconsistencies will I find in the book itself? Does that make sense?

And now that I've taken an entire paragraph to harp about that, I'm going to admit that I found the book highly entertaining.  Sure, Sunni isn't a criminal defense attorney (she's the owner of an art gallery) and Jacob isn't her star witness (he's the vampire who's been her guardian her entire life) and I don't recall any mind reading (darting with vampiric speed across the Golden Gate Bridge, but no mind reading), but it was set in a fun, well-constructed world.  I do question how both the title of the book and the cover fit in to the overall story, but I'm handwaving those little niggling details and just admitting that I liked Clare Willis' writing style.

So, yeah.  I liked the book.  It was a little slow in the beginning but it did pick up and it kept me interested.  I figured out the big, end-of-book reveal a few chapters before it happened, but that didn't really take away from my enjoyment.  I love the San Francisco setting - I live near-ish to SF so books set in my neck of the woods always make me smile.  Especially if they have vampires!  I liked the characters and I liked the bad guy.  Well, I didn't like him but I liked to hate him.

Enjoyable, with a well-thought out world, I just wish the synopsis had more accurately reflected what the story was actually about.

More books by Clare Willis

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment