Friday, July 29, 2011

Review: Amaury's Hellion (Scanguards Vampires #2) by Tina Folsom

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Vampire Amaury LeSang is cursed to feel everybody's emotions like a permanent migraine. The only way to alleviate the pain is through sex. When he meets the feisty human woman Nina, a cure for his ailment seems within reach: in her presence all pain vanishes. Unfortunately, Nina is out to kill him because she believes he's involved in her brother's death. And she would succeed if only Amaury's bad boy charm didn't play havoc with her hormones and catapulted her into his arms and his bed every time she was near him. As every kiss brings them physically closer, danger is lurking and threatens to destroy the little trust they have in each other.
My Thoughts:  I like this series.  It's light enough that I don't feel like my head's going to explode as I read it and yet it ends up being immensely satisfying in its own way.  I mean, I pick it up expecting vampires and hot sex and I get exactly that.  Plus, there's this whole plot thing going on.  I know!  Who knew?  Vampires do more than just have sex!  Look, I'm as shocked by this as much as the next person.  Yet, I find it strangely invigorating.

**Now I feel like I need to point out here that I do read books where the vampires don't get all sweaty and sexy.  Occasionally.  I mean, I know there are those types of books out there.  Okay, fine.  I rarely read books where the vampires aren't sexing it up left and right.  You found me out.  I'm a paranormal-lovin' perv.  I'm secure in myself.**

*ahem*  Right.  So.  We met the core group of vampires in book 1 and this book takes all those lovely, lovely men and adds a few more to the mix.  As the inner circle grows, I can see a lot of potential for later books.  A lot.  Like, oodles of potential.  Are they all going to end up with humans?  I don't know!  And that's where the excitement lies.

As far as the characters go, Amaury could have come across as a ravening ass but he didn't.  He was a good guy who got tricked into something he never expected and had to deal with the consequences.  Likewise, Nina made the best of a bad situation growing up and came out swinging when her family was threatened.  Do the two of them experience that instant attraction that's so common in paranormal romance?  Yes.  Does it bother me?  Not in the least.  I thought Amaury's guilt and Nina's capacity for forgiveness made them immensely likeable characters.  Even when Amaury is doing things he shouldn't be doing, you feel for him.

With Amaury's Hellion, Tina Folsom delivers another smoking hot read where the villains aren't always clear cut and the good guys are willing to risk their lives for the ones they love.

And then the vampires have sex.  The end.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Samson's Lovely Mortal

More books by Tina Folsom

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I really enjoy this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie: I'm enjoying the series too. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read the first book but enjoyed it immensely. I'll have to move this one up on my TBR.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren: I thought both books were so darn sexy. vampires...yum.

    ReplyDelete