Friday, August 19, 2011

Review: Greywalker (Greywalker #1) by Kat Richardson

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Harper Blaine was slogging along as a small-time P.I. when a two-bit perp's savage assault left her dead. For two minutes, to be precise.

When Harper comes to in the hospital, she begins to feel a bit ...strange. She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring.

But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker-able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not.
My Thoughts:  This wasn't an easy book for me to get into.  I would pick it up, read a chapter or two and then find myself distracted.  I like most of the elements that make up the world and I like that Harper was able to see ghosts and such after dying but I never felt a solid connection to her world.  You know, I'm having a very hard time explaining this, even in my own head, so you're going to have to listen to me ramble for a bit.

The plot is pretty tangled and complex.  Harper is working several different cases as she begins to deal with her newfound ghost-sighting power.  Eventually, all the cases intersect and you get a clearer picture of what she was trying to accomplish but there's a lot of unconnected plot threads up until that happens.  For me, that was a little jarring.  Yes, it gave the story a more real-world feel simply because I do think that most PIs would be working on multiple cases at once but it also left me scrambling to follow the whats and whys and wheres as she met with the different people related to each of her cases.

Harper herself wasn't the most charismatic of characters.  She's hardheaded and not very trusting (something I can appreciate given her line of work) and she has a tendency to disappear on people when her job calls.  Of the secondary characters, I dug Quinton.  Smart guys are sexy, you know.  The vampires were downright creepy (in a good way) and Mara and Ben were.. well, I'm waffling over them.  They meant well but they were working off of theory as to how to help Harper and it seemed like most of the time they did more harm than good.  Or maybe that was Harper's stubbornness shining through.

Like I said, I had a tough time with this book.  I have the next 4 books in this series so I will be reading those at some point in the future.  I'm just not feeling the urge to jump right in and start on book 2 immediately.

More books by Kat Richardson

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

2 comments:

  1. I like the series. I understand what you mean about the first book as it's my least favorite. They get better as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine: I've heard that from more than one person and it makes me so happy since I bought the next 4 books in this series. Lol!

    ReplyDelete