Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Review: Inevitable (The Inevitable Trilogy #1) by Jason Letts

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Every choice is played out in a world unto itself, and so the only Nathan who needs to be saved is the only one who can't be.

A supernatural spirit holds all of these worlds together, bending fate from her place outside of time. When eighteen-year-old Nathan Wheeler sacrifices himself to provide for his orphaned sister, this entrancing spirit goes back to when the death of his mother forced him to quit college and attempts to make his life better before his inevitable death. But for all she knows about the future, assuming human form is not as easy as she thought it would be, and getting close to Nathan comes with consequences she could never expect.
My Thoughts: In some ways this was a hard book to read.  Not the writing or anything like that, though.  No, the thing that tripped me up was that Nathan was destined to die.  You know this in the beginning.  You can see it coming like a freight train.  "Kelly", you might be thinking, "the title of this book is INEVITABLE.  What did you think was going to happen?  Get over yourself and deal with it."  The thing was that I liked the guy.  I kept coming back to how I didn't want him to die.  I didn't want him to have to sacrifice himself, even if a good thing came out of it.

If there's one thing I've learned in my years of reading, it's that you have to be willing to give yourself over to an author's vision sometimes.  You have to take a deep breath and plunge in.  So I did.  And I ended up really, really liking this book.

Now, I didn't agree with everything that Apoxy did.  I didn't like some of the ways she tried to get Nathan to live a little before the end came.  But... but I can see how her character evolved as the story progressed and that made some of those actions forgivable.  Frankly, Nathan's life kinda sucked.  He worked his fingers to the bone at a thankless job, his girlfriend was a first class bitch-cake and he really didn't have many friends outside of his family.  Apoxy's rather dramatic entrance into his life gave him something to hold onto when it got bad.

Overall, I liked the book quite a bit.  It was different from what I thought it would be and the ending sort of punched me in the gut.  I'm still trying to recover.  However, it was a good punch.  The type that makes me think long after I've put the book away.  And that's a good thing.

More books by Jason Letts

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, and it isn't over yet. I liked the book too. It was the first one of Jason's that I read. It grew on me too, and I liked the others too. He does have a knack for cliff hangers though, just warning you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this book would be hard for me to read, for the reasons you mentioned. I would probably end up liking the main character, too, then being upset at the ending. But I am very curious about this one!

    Molli at Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete