Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: Captivated by Deb Apodaca

Captivated (Affliction #1) by Deb Apodaca
Synopsis (Goodreads):
Mindy's new best friend, Markus Medina, witnesses Dean kill two people behind a club. Mindy has a hard time believing him, especially when he mentions that the bodies disappear. Poof! Into thin air. Markus decides he has to follow Dean around in order to get evidence that he's been killing people, so he doesn't sound like a nut to the police.

Despite Marcus' crazy theories about the possibility of Dean not being human. And not to mention the fact that he's dangerous. Mindy can't help that she may be falling in love with him. Even after hiding their feelings for each other from the world. Dean and Mindy being together stirs up dangers that neither of them could ever imagine. When she finds out about what Dean really is and the world he tried to keep her away from...it's already too late.
My Thoughts: I'm torn on how I feel about this book. I liked the idea behind it but there were times when Mindy's actions (and those of her friends) had me scratching my head. Informationally speaking, it took a long time to get answers. I think it was around the 80% mark where I began to worry that we weren't going to get ANY answers at all. However, once the explanations started flying, they came in fast and furious.

I liked Dean. I'm not a huge fan of the "I'm not telling you things because I want to protect you" scenario, especially when it puts her in more danger from the things that go bump in the night because she doesn't know what to defend herself against, but I could see where he was coming from. I'm a little less accommodating of Markus keeping things from her. He'd be off my Christmas card list if he pulled that stunt with me. If I had a list, that it.

I'm honestly not at all sure how I feel about the ending. Obviously, as the first in a series, there's more to come but... things happen that change things in a big way for the characters. I'm curious how things are going to work out and whether this is something that Dean and Mindy can come back from.

Books in this series
1. Captivated - Kindle
2. Unattainable

Author Links
| Website | Twitter | Amazon |

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Captivated was provided by the author for review.

6 comments:

  1. The information whore strikes again. (Mostly. I guess you got your answers in the end, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Some* of the answers. There's a lot more to learn, I think.

      Delete
  2. I have this book on my shelf and I've been hearing only so so things about it! I hope you get a chance to read the second book Kelly and let us all know if the story plot and characters get better in the second book or not.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest giving it a try if you already have it. The things that bugged me might very well not bother you at all.

      Delete
  3. I am not a fan of the non-communicate to protect you story either. It irks me on behalf of the leading lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. YES! Although I have seen it used effectively a few times but for the most part... no.

      Delete