Monday, December 31, 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu
Synopsis (Goodreads):
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.
My Thoughts: I was in a dystopian sort of mood when I picked this book up and it not only hit the ball out of the park as far as fantastic world-building and a fiercely oppressive government went but it also kindled a deep, dark desire in me to glut myself on more broken worlds. I am so pleased with this. I can wallow in all my dystopian/post-apocalyptic books with glee, people. GLEE!

But enough about me. Let's talk about Day and June and the Republic!

I think one of the things that really worked for me was how alive this world felt. The lines between the privileged and the poor are rigidly drawn. June and Day come from completely different worlds. She has money and privilege, he has to use his wits to keep food in his belly and the people he cares about safe. June's undercover work as she hunts down Day gives her a new appreciation for the hardships the lower class struggle with daily.

So, you know how I'm terrible at figuring things out? Early on in the book, I emailed Amanda (we read this in tandem so we could discuss all the fabulosity) and said "this is what I think is going on..." In a SHOCKING turn of events, I was correct on every point. While the overall plot was fairly predictable (seriously, guys, *I* figured it out!), the characters and setting kept the story alive and dynamic. I liked Day! I liked June! I liked hating some of the people we ran across in the course of the story. There were several twists I didn't see coming, which made perfect sense once they were presented.

Beyond the characters, I'm intensely intrigued by the bits and pieces we were given about the Republic and the Colonies and the division between the two. I want to know what brought this world to the point it's at. I want to know how the Republic got a toehold in the West and ruthlessly smothered all opposition to its regime. I have questions. Many questions.

Bottom line: I loved the world. I loved how dark and bloody this book was. I loved that the ending opened up a whole new slew of questions in my head. I also love that I have SO MANY more dystopians to dive into as I wait for book 2 to be released.

Books in this series
1. Legend - Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle
2. Prodigy

Author Links
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

8 comments:

  1. Your review makes me excited for this series all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I wrote a pretty good review. *buffs nails* Some days, the stars just align like that.

      Except... now I want to read book 2. Pooh. When does it come out? The end of January. Hmmph. I guess I can wait that long. I guess.

      Delete
  2. Great review! We seemed to have the same reaction to this book. Can't wait for Prodigy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making grabby hands right now. I am wanting book 2 now. NOW!

      Delete
  3. I've heard so many good things about Legend! I remember taking it out from the library and being a little thrown by the colour of the text and never did get around to reading it. I may have to get it again -- great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was something Amanda and I discussed while reading it, actually. It was a little odd at first, but after a while I didn't even notice.

      Delete
  4. Your review is like... catnip. Saznip? JSAHDFLF. I have had this sitting on a shelf at home for months -- MONTHS -- and I'm now I'm attempting the wonderfully acrobatic feat of kicking myself. WHY?

    WHY DID YOU LET ME WAIT SO LONG? O__O

    *cough*

    Uh... I love how much you loved this, loved the world, loved the characters, and all that despite feeling it was predictable? Now THAT is something.

    KELLY. YOUR REVIEW. OMNOMNOMNOM ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *pulls out a delicious array of toppings for you to smother this review in as you eat it*

      I had FUN reading this book. You know? FUN! Yeah, I figured it out the main points, but the little details kept me hooked. Plus, I adore broken societies. ADORE THEM. I love seeing how a working society crumbles. I love the struggle as the little people are ground down farther and farther. I just looooooove it so hard.

      Delete