Friday, December 21, 2012

Review: Wanderlust by Ann Aguirre

Wanderlust (Sirantha Jax #2) by Ann Aguirre
Synopsis (Goodreads):
Sirantha Jax doesn’t take chances…she jumps at them…

Sirantha Jax is a “Jumper,” a woman who possesses the unique genetic makeup needed to navigate faster than light ships through grimspace. Jax has worked for the Farwan Corporation her entire career. But now the word’s out that the Corp deliberately crashed a passenger ship, and their stranglehold on intergalactic commerce has crumbled—which means that Jax is out of a job.

She’s also broke, due to being declared dead a little prematurely. So when the government asks her to head up a vital diplomatic mission, Jax takes it. Her mandate: journey to the planet Ithiss-Tor and convince them to join the Conglomerate.

But Jax’s payday is light years away. First, she’ll have to contend with Syndicate criminals, a stormy relationship with her pilot, man-eating aliens, and her own grimspace-weakened body. She’ll be lucky just to make it to Ithiss-Tor alive…
My Thoughts: Do you ever reach a point in a book where you start to, I don't know, seriously worry that you main character is going to self-destruct in a big way? And then you realize that you're only on the second of six books and you breathe a little easier. But things keep spiraling out of control and you just can't imagine how they're going to survive this without going batshit crazy? Yeah. That was me. Bad things happen. Bad things. And Sirantha is already a little unhinged so... I'm scared. Hold me.

Seriously, though, Sirantha can't catch a break. After fighting her way out of the crap storm that she was thrust into in the last book, she finds herself in a world of hurt. Physically, she's a mess. Emotionally, she's kind of... you know, I don't even know how to describe her emotional state. She gets some big shocks in this book and they take their toll on her. When Sirantha Jax is up, she's flying. When she's down, she's crawling through man-eating alien bug blood while trying to survive. It isn't pretty.

I think the thing that impresses me so much is how imaginative and *real* this universe feels. The bad aliens are nasty. It's business as usual in the political arena. The characters are flawed and wonderful. Speaking of which, the crew members that Sirantha flies with are outstanding. The new additions are appealing and the relationships she's built with the others is evolving as Sirantha, herself, grows.

Ann Aguirre is a master at drowning you in emotion and this book was no different. I'm worried for what diabolical schemes our Grimspace-addicted heroine will be forced into next. Based on the ending, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Sirantha Jax
1. Grimspace
2. Wanderlust - Paperback | Kindle
3. Doubleblind
4. Killbox
5. Aftermath
6. Endgame

Author Links
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

4 comments:

  1. For not being a straight sci-fi fan, I really enjoy this world. I should continue with it! I think I have book 4 but not 3. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have the rest of the series on my wishlist.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this series I asked for the first book for xmas so we shall see if I get a copy or not. :)

    Thanks for the awesome review, I love the sound of a very emotional book that can suck me into the plot and characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann Aguirre writes characters that slay you. Be ready!

      Delete