Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Review: The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires #2) by Rachel Caine
Format: paperback
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: 2013

Morganville Vampires
1. Glass Houses
2. The Dead Girls' Dance - Paperback | Kindle
3. Midnight Alley
4. Feast of Fools
5. Lord of Misrule
6. Carpe Corpus
7. Fade Out
8. Kiss of Death
9. Ghost Town
10. Bite Club
11. Last Breath [Serial Killers review]
12. Black Dawn
13. Bitter Blood
14. Fall of Night
15. Daylighters

Rachel Caine
Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Claire Danvers has her share of challenges---like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains, dealing with the homicidal girls in her dorm, and above all, finding out that her college town is overrun with vampires. On the up side, she has a great roommate (who tends to disappear at sunup) and a new boyfriend named Shane, whose vampire-hunting dad has called in backup: cycle punks who like the idea of killing just about anything.

Now a fraternity is throwing its annual Dead Girls' Dance and---surprise!---Claire and her equally outcast best friend, Eve, have been invited. When they find out why, all hell is going to break loose. Because this time both the living and the dead are coming out---and everybody's hungry for blood.
My Thoughts: Oh, man. I had forgotten how crazy things get for Claire and crew in these earlier books. Which isn't to say that things are non-crazy in later books but it's a different type of crazy. I mean, Amelie makes the choice to stand by and do nothing even though she knows that Shane is innocent of the crimes he's being accused of. Her treatment of Sam is downright criminal and it honestly makes me hate her the tiniest bit. However, she does make up for it SOMEWHAT when she helps Michael out of his predicament.

Once again, Claire is forced to take a stand against the injustices around her. She also gets to have some fun kissy time with Shane, something that I totally appreciate. Shane's story pretty much broke my heart. Between what happened to his sister and what happened to his mom, things aren't good. Plus, he gets the jackass dad of all jackass dads. Not cool, Shane's dad. Not cool.

The pieces are being laid (Myrnin! Soon! MYRNIN!) and the players are maneuvering into position for big things to happen in Morganville. Monica is just as crazy as she was in book one and Claire shows the spark that drives her in later books when she refuses to abandon her. Oh, and the whole Michael/Eve thing is so cuuuute. Thus far, this reread is a big, old success!


8 comments:

  1. I think this is the last book I read in this series. (Or it was the next one? I've already forgotten.) I SHOULD KEEP READING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should. I like them because they're fast, entertaining reads. Plus, there's a lot of random biting. I like random biting.

      Delete
    2. When you get up to 5 I am going to be like dude----I didn't read that one yet.

      Delete
    3. The good news is that my reviews for book 5 and up won't swing around until the beginning of May. Because I'm crazy ahead right now. *finger guns*

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read this even though I have bind ups of the first few novels. I guess when everyone was into it there were so many vampire books already on the market that I didn't take the time out to start yet another one. Now I can't wait to start this series.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I hope you like it. They're fun, fast reads.

      Delete
  3. Wow. I miss this series! I don't think I've read the last 3-4 releases, but I remember them being as fun as you describe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall of Night comes out in May and Daylighters in November so I'm 2 books behind at this point. I think I'm going to try to get caught up on all the books in the series by the end of the year. TAKE THAT, SERIOUSLY SERIES!

      Delete