Saturday, October 18, 2014

Rise of the King by R.A. Salvatore [Review]

Rise of the King by R.A. Salvatore
Rise of the King (Companions Codex #2, The Legend of Drizzt #26) by R.A. Salvatore
Format: ebook
Source: provided through NetGalley
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: September 23, 2014

Companions Codex
1. Night of the Hunter
2. Rise of the King - Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle
3. Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf

R.A. Salvatore
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
In the second book of the Companions Codex, the latest series in the New York Times best-selling saga of dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden, R.A. Salvatore picks up with the fan-favorite storyline of dwarf king Bruenor Battlehammer and his bloody feud with the orc kingdom of Many Arrows.
Thoughts on Rise of the King: I've been enjoying this series overall, but MAN is it tough for me to keep all the background players straight. Remembering who did what and how they relate to Drizzt and company kept me on my toes. In all honesty, I like the time spent with the Companions the best and, for me, the rest of the action is just setup for Drizzt and his crew to kick butt and be awesome.

Because even when things look like there's no way out, those resourceful Companions find a way to make it work.

So. Dwarfs and Orcs. Yeah, things look bad. The kingdoms are in upheaval, the orc army has spread like a plague across the land, and the shadowy machinations of the drow continue. There is some serious craziness going on and the Companions keep finding themselves smack-dab in the middle. Well, wait. Actually, they sort of put themselves in the middle. You know, because they're good guys and they don't stand by idly when bad, bad things happen.

Enjoyable, I still find myself the most engaged in the story lines dealing directly with the Companions. They're just so... fun. Weird and offbeat and kinda bloodthirsty. You know, fun!

(I'm a little sad I don't get to make any "tangled web" spider jokes this review, but what can you do?)

No comments:

Post a Comment