Saturday, April 11, 2015

Quickie Reviews: A Ghostly Gift, Love Singer, and Lord of Misrule

A Ghostly Gift by Angie Fox
A Ghostly Gift (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries) by Angie Fox
Format: ebook
Source: purchased as part of the Kiss of Christmas Magic anthology
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: January 15, 2015

Angie Fox
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
One simple mistake…
It really didn’t look that much like an urn.

Of a girl who is about to lose her family home…
So she dumped it out onto the rose bushes, and rinsed it with the hose.

...releases the ghost of a long dead gangster.
He really didn’t have to be so rude about it.

And open’s Verity Long’s eyes to a whole new world…
Verity Long doesn’t want to see ghosts, and she’d rather not let anyone know her little secret, either. But when a restless spirit stirs up trouble in her friend’s holiday shop, Verity and her very new, very dead gangster friend decide to take a peek.

There they discover a mystery a eight decades in the making and are tasked with reuniting a pair of war–torn lovers before they are doomed to spend eternity apart.
Thoughts on A Ghostly Gift: Okay. I liked this one. I like ghosts. I like love that endures through the ages. I like gangsters who might have a soft side under their bullet holes. There's backstory and a little family bonding (well, if you consider it bonding when one sister tries mightily to take care of the other when she's down and out. Which I do.) and more than a few ghosts.

I'd be interested in seeing how Verity's story started,


Love Singer by Mimi Strong
Love Singer by Mimi Strong
Format: ebook
Source: purchased as part of the Kiss of Christmas Magic anthology
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: January 15, 2015

Mimi Strong
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
A struggling musician discovers she's a witch who can cast spells with her songs. Or at least that's what her sexy professor says.
Thoughts on Love Singer: I enjoy Mimi Strong's writing. It tends to be light and flirty and sometimes that's exactly what you need. That said, this isn't one of my favorites. I liked the idea of a school for witches, but I was kinda put off by how their heritage was kept from so many of them until they grew up. I mean, how do you keep that from someone? Like, "Welp, it's coven night. We'll just tell the kids we're going to play dirty charades with the neighbors instead of admitting the truth." *scrunchy face*

Anywho. Dog prom and magical singing did distract me from the lemon face I was making, but just barely.


Lord of Misrule vol 1 by J.S. Hope
Lord of Misrule vol 1 by J.S. Hope
Format: ebook
Source: purchased as part of the Kiss of Christmas Magic anthology
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: January 16, 2015

J.S. Hope
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
From New York Times and USA Today bestseller J.S. Hope comes a brand new five-part tale of passion and intrigue!

Reporter Alessandra "Alex" Donati is in Venice chasing the story of her career. While the city prepares for the Christmas festivities, Alex is hot on the trail of a group that celebrates a much older - and much darker - festival, one that offers sex and sacrifice in exchange for power and wealth.

Alex's first move is to try and get close to billionaire tycoon and suspected cult member, Paolo Galvan. In order to do that, she'd going to have to entice him with something money can't buy, something that's both outside his experience and outside his control...herself.
Thoughts on Lord of Misrule vol 1: I almost DNFed this one. The writing was a little more detail-y than I like. I honestly don't need to know every single move the characters make. I find it more distracting than anything and unfortunately every action/scene seemed to have unnecessary detail in it.

Meanwhile, since this is the first of a five part serial, I'm really not sure what's going on at this point. I assume Alex is on the trail of something that will turn out to be supernatural, but I got caught up in wading through how she unclasped her dress and let it slither down her body to puddle at her feet and let him look his fill before she moved in for the kill. The kill being her mouth on his dude parts. Which I'm okay with.

It's all the extraneous detail I got distracted by.

No comments:

Post a Comment