Saturday, August 8, 2015

Blood Flame by Caris Roane [Review]

Blood Flame by Caris Roane
Blood Flame (Flame #1) by Caris Roane
Format: ebook
Source: purchased as part of the Dark and Damaged bundle
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: June 22, 2015

Flame
1. Blood Flame - Kindle

Caris Roane
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Vampire Officer Connor of the Crescent Border Patrol tries to suppress his desire for the powerful witch, Iris Meldeere. Because the woman possesses the ability to kill him with the tips of her fingers, how can he possibly fall in love with her? When a double homicide throws them together, he soon finds his deepest fantasies fulfilled as Iris succumbs to his seductions. But as they battle together to stay alive, and love begins to consume them both, will the witch be able to forgive the dark secrets of his past ...
Thoughts on Blood Flame: I can't say I loved this book. It wasn't terrible. I just never really connected with the characters. And I saw the "twist" coming from a mile away. Which is sad because I'm the worst guesser in the history of guessers. So either the clues were very blatant as to what was coming or I can follow the author's thought process like a champ and extrapolate out to the nth degree based on that. Which kinda freaks me out, to be honest.

But let's talk about Connor and Iris. Connor's upstanding. Iris is upstanding. Because of their different species (or whatever you want to call it), they're at odds. But they both simply handwave their inherent hatred of each other to get jiggy. Okay, there was more to it than that. They both had moments where they had to restrain themselves from giving into their killing urges but... I don't know. There wasn't a lot of tension between them on that score.

I liked the world. I liked the idea that the different species were turned from an outside force. There was plenty I liked, but I never really connected with the main plot or the characters. Also, the pregnant women being used in the sex trade made me have a sour lemon face. I didn't like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment