Thursday, August 20, 2015

Rock the Beat by Michelle A. Valentine [Review]

Rock the Beat by Michelle A. Valentine
Rock the Beat (Black Falcon #3) by Michelle A. Valentine
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: May 31, 2015

Black Falcon
1. Rock the Heart
1.5. Rock the Band
2. Rock My Bed
2.5. Rock My World
3. Rock the Beat - Kindle
4. Rock My Body

Michelle A. Valentine
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Twenty-year-old Holly Pearson never dreamed that while working at her father’s motocross track she’d run into the walking, talking definition of trouble in a sexy, tattooed package—Trip Douglas, the man sent to evaluate the track for a possible investment opportunity. Holly makes no attempt to hide the fact she despises Trip, but she learns to be civil toward him when he offers to help her land the man of her dreams.

Trip needs a break from the crazy rock-and-roll lifestyle he’s been living for the past few years. With his Black Falcon band mates settling down with marriage and babies, Trip peruses an investment opportunity in motocross, something he’s always been passionate about. Hiding his celebrity status, Trip infiltrates the new business posing as a dirt bike rider training for the X-Games. The only obstacle is the owner’s daughter, Holly. She’s a real ball bustin' Ice Queen, and she’ll do whatever it takes to make the deal fall through. Trip soon discovers that winning over his new enemy is the key to gaining a partnership in Mountain Time Speed Track.

Knowing he’s the expert on getting laid, Trip ropes Holly into becoming his ally by helping her score a date with the man she’s crushing on. The problem is, the more time Trip and Holly spend together, the more they uncover the undeniable attraction between them. Soon they both realize that even the best laid plans go to hell when you find you’re falling in love with the enemy.
Thoughts on Rock the Beat: I think my issue with this series is that I have a VERY hard time liking either of the main characters when we're first introduced to them. Trip is an unrepentant man-whore who laments going a few days without getting any. Meanwhile, Holly is kinda whiny and willfully blind to her boyfriend's (many) character flaws even after he dumps her because he's not interested in remaining faithful. I think it goes without saying that when a guy cheats on you and admits to cheating on you and doesn't bother to show up for dates... you need to let him go. Holly's stubborn insistence that whatshisname (I've totally blanked the douchecanoe from my memory) was the one she wanted to be with made her drop several notches in my estimation.

And then... AND THEN there was the thing where Papa Pearson admits that douchey ex (whom Holly wants to get back together with) had been running off business at the track with his douchery and I'm all... WAIT. WHAT?!?! Your business is failing and you're OKAY with your daughter's douchey boyfriend running your business even deeper into the ground?

*blink blink blink*

So, this book started off a little rough. I didn't dislike Trip by the end and I get why he acted like he did, but it was hard getting behind someone who looked to have very few redeeming qualities when we first met him.

And Holly? DUDE. The ex you're trying so desperately to get back together with is just making you look like a pathetic loser. STAHP WITH THE PINING. (Although I do get that you can't just turn your heart off, but the guy was a serious creep before he got even creepier with the creeping.)

I just... I don't know. Part of me wants to read the final book just so I can get some closure with the series and part of me is shaking my head at my desire to finish something I'm not really enjoying. So, you know, there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment