Monday, October 26, 2015

Blood of My Blood by Barry Lyga [Review]

Blood of My Blood by Barry Lyga
Blood of My Blood (Jasper Dent #3) by Barry Lyga
Format: hardcover
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: September 1, 2015

Jasper Dent
0.1. Lucky Day
0.5. Career Day
0.6. Neutral Mask
0.8. Blood Boy
1. I Hunt Killers
2. Game
3. Blood of My Blood - Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle

Barry Lyga
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Jazz Dent has never been closer to catching his father.
Jazz has been shot and left to die in New York. His girlfriend, Connie, is in the clutches of Jazz's monstrous father, Billy--the world's most notorious serial killer. And his best friend, Howie, is bleeding to death on the floor of Jazz's new home.

Somehow, these three must rise above the horrors and find a way to come together in pursuit of Billy.

But then Jazz crosses a line he's never crossed before, and soon the entire country is wondering: "Like father, like son? Who is the true monster?"

From New York City to the small town of Lobo's Nod, the chase is on, and this time, Jazz is the hunted, not the hunter--while Billy Dent lurks in the shadows.

And beyond Billy? Something much, much worse. Prepare to meet...the Crow King.

From acclaimed author Barry Lyga comes the shocking conclusion to the bestselling I Hunt Killer trilogy.
Thoughts on Blood of My Blood: This is one of those books where I don't even know where to start with the review. (and please don't point out the obvious and say I did know where to start and it was by saying I didn't know where to start. I mean, I did that for you. I GOT THIS!) This book is insanely good. It has blood (as one would probably expect from a book starring the son of a serial killer and with a title that references blood not once, but twice... or maybe you don't expect that. I don't know. I try not to judge.) and HORRIBLE THINGS that happen (again, expected considering what Billy did to his victims back in the day) and a young man walking a very thin edge between being the man he wants to be and the one he was trained to be.

GOOD GRAVY, JAZZ! That boy kills me. Not literally. He has choices and he makes the ones he feels he has to. All the while he's wondering if he's doing it because Dear Old Dad is goading him to the endgame HE wants or if Jazz doing it because someone has to end Billy's reign of terror.

Honestly, it's enough to drive a kid batty, isn't it? As if having Billy in his head isn't bad enough, now he's second guessing himself and trying to piece together the string of clues Billy's leaving him. BAD, BAD CLUES. The type with blood and viscera.

I adore Jazz. I like that time and time again he was faced with his own morality and had to decide if what he was doing was right or if he'd crossed the line. Separated from Connie and Howie (his touchstones to normalcy), he has to rely on himself and, yeah, he does some questionable things.

Dark and riveting, I highly HIGHLY recommend this entire series for those who don't mind blood and guts. Jazz is incredibly complex and his story killed me. Again, not literally.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this series SO much. I can't wait to read another Lyga book. Jazz was such a great main character. I have to say though I think Howie was probably my favorite though.

    How about that last scene with Billy and Jazz? Shocked the hell out of me! Your review made me giggle so thanks for that in a Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series ended up SHOCKING me with where Lyga took it. SO GOOD! SO GOOD!

      Delete