Thursday, July 28, 2016

On the Rocks by Sawyer Bennett [Review]

On the Rocks by Sawyer Bennett
On the Rocks (Last Call #1) by Sawyer Bennett
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: February 19, 2016

Last Call
1. On the Rocks - Paperback | Kindle
2. Make it a Double
3. Sugar on the Rdge
4. With a Twist
5. Shaken, Not Stirred

Sawyer Bennett
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
He left to travel the world for fame and glory, but only after spurning Gabby Ward and crushing her young heart. Now Hunter Markham has come back home to the sand and salty breeze of the North Carolina Outer Banks so he can open up Last Call, a beach bar nestled among the dunes of the Atlantic.

Gabby Ward is not happy that Hunter has returned. Bitter over his rebuff years before, she’s content to stay far away from him and his dangerously charming ways.

Gabby’s well-schemed plans to ignore Hunter go up in flames when he presents an offer to her that she simply can’t refuse, throwing them together in a common quest to each reach their goals. Working together day in and day out proves to be problematic for Gabby, who soon realizes that the feelings she had for him are still very much alive. Hunter struggles to reach through to Gabby’s cold heart, all while starting a new career away from his life as a top ranked, professional surfer.

What starts out as a mutual business arrangement soon turns into a passion that neither of them can continue to deny.

Hard choices lay ahead for both of them when Hunter is offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to return to the pro surfing tour.

Choices that could destroy what they have built or take them further than they ever had dared to hope.
Thoughts on On the Rocks: I didn't hate this book by any means, but I kept getting hung up on all the ellipses used in it. It completely threw me off my reading game when I hit a platoon of them marching through a scene. (Considering I've been known to abuse ellipses a time or two, I feel like I should apologize to all and sundry. Forgive me. I'll try to do better...*cough*...maybe.)

But enough about me and my issues. *pause* Actually, I'm going to keep talking about me. Mostly because this review is what I liked about the book. (Yes, I did like it. REALLY.)

So. Things I liked: Hunter. He did a dickish thing and didn't catch on that what he'd done had hurt Gabby until AGES later. Which isn't cool, but I can see that happening. Because guys are sometimes clueless. To be fair, girls are often clueless too. Especially when it comes to making decisions for their dude without listening to what said dude really wants to do. So I liked Hunter. I mostly liked Gabby. I really liked Brody. I am so stuck on quietly growly men who are a little damaged. (Yes, I'm eyeballing Brody's book with a slightly covetous look. THAT OFTEN HAPPENS WITH ME AND THE GROWLY MEN.)

I liked Gabby's friends. I liked some of Hunter's friends. I'm not a fan of someone doing something catastrophic for the good of someone else without talking things through with them, but I kinda get where Gabby was coming from. It worked for this book, it's simply not one of my favorite party lines.

But I did like the book. Sexy times with a hunky pro surfer are nothing to sneer at.

No comments:

Post a Comment