Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Sinner by Amanda Stevens [Review]

The Sinner by Amanda Stevens
The Sinner (Graveyard Queen #5) by Amanda Stevens
Format: ebook
Source: provided through NetGalley
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: July 17, 2016

Graveyard Queen
0.5. The Abandoned
1. The Restorer
2. The Kingdom
3. The Prophet
4. The Visitor
5. The Sinner - Paperback | Kindle

Amanda Stevens
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
I am a living ghost, a wanderer in search of my purpose and place…

I'm a cemetery restorer by trade, but my calling has evolved from that of ghost seer to death walker to detective of lost souls. I solve the riddles of the dead so the dead will leave me alone.

I've come to Seven Gates Cemetery nursing a broken heart, but peace is hard to come by…for the ghosts here and for me. When the body of a young woman is discovered in a caged grave, I know that I've been summoned for a reason. Only I can unmask her killer. I want to trust the detective assigned to the case for he is a ghost seer like me. But how can I put my faith in anyone when supernatural forces are manipulating my every thought? When reality is ever-changing? And when the one person I thought I could trust above all others has turned into a diabolical stranger?
Thoughts on The Sinner: I was worried at the end of book 4 where the relationship between Devlin and Amelia was heading. Turns out I had reason to worry. A year has passed since Amelia confronted the ghosts of a forgotten cemetery and she and Devlin have gone their separate ways. Amelia, being loyal, can't put him from her mind even as she attempts to bury herself in work. No pun intended.

Then she stumbles over a body and things take a turn toward the dangerous. Only, she doesn't really stumble over that body, it's more than she gets driven to find it.

Things turn seriously funky and Amelia has to find a way to put aside her heartache long enough to parse through who she can trust. Everybody in Ascension seems a bit off and Amelia's not at her best. BUT...she's wily and quick and she has a sixth sense that puts her in the right place at the right time on more than one occasion.

Amelia's relationship woes made me a little wibbly, but I'm still holding out hope that she'll find a way to make things work. I don't know how and I have no idea what she'll have to sacrifice to find her happiness, but I believe. (If I think it hard enough, it will come true, right?)

Another solidly creepy story that had me hurting for Amelia even as I was mentally shrieking at her to keep her guard up. *thumbs up*

No comments:

Post a Comment