Monday, September 27, 2010

Review: Winter's Kiss (Vampires Realm) by Felicity Heaton


Won from Paranormal Bites Blogmania contest.  Thank you!
Synopsis (via Goodreads): (slightly edited for length because the Goodreads synopsis gives A LOT of information)

The tales of the mansion near Nika’s remote Russian village say that its lord drinks blood to live and that the guards are dead men walking, but that doesn’t stop Nika from falling for one of them—a man who seemingly hasn’t changed in twenty years, a man she wishes would be hers. One snowy spring night, her world and his collide when she is attacked by wolves and he rides in on a black horse to rescue her. But her knight in shining armour is far from saintly. He is a vampire, and she is becoming a werewolf, and love between such species is forbidden—the penalty death.
My Take: It's kind of a running joke when I watch movies or read books that I'm totally unmoved by things.  Like, I'll be watching a movie with my friends and something tragic will happen and my friends will be sobbing quietly as the scene unfolds and I'll be all, "Whoa!  Did you see all that blood?  It was like a river of blood.  I wonder how they get it that red.  And the consistency was just right.  Did you see it?  Hey, why is everyone crying?"  Seriously, I'm not a crier.  Cry-er.  I'm not a person who cries.  Yeah, so there aren't a lot of books that will move me to tears.  Usually it ends up being something that I'm deeply invested in, like a 20 book series (Dude!  That reminds me of the time I was sobbing tearing up over one of the Dark-Hunter books and my son walked in on me, took one look and turned on his heel and walked out.  Little brat.), so when I say that this book got me a little weepy, you have to see that as a big endorsement.

I really, really liked the world that was built here.  I liked Winter.  I liked Nika's perseverance, even if what she was doing wasn't necessarily in either her or Winter's best interests.  She was determined and she wasn't going to lie down quietly and let the thing she wanted most in the world to slip away without a fight.

I'm extremely interested in reading other books set in this world and seeing how it unfolds from this little slice of vampires and werewolves in Russia to something much larger.

More books by Felicity Heaton

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment