Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: Angel's Master by Sandra Sookoo

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
The year is 1822 and life on the high seas just became more complicated for Ethan Williams. He’s a pirate with a conscience, and even though killing and plundering are his way of life, he’s searching for much more—and he’s tired of being alone.

Jacqueline Massey is connected with the American Navy. It’s her job to trick men into revealing they are indeed pirates. The guilt she feels about sending them to their doom is equaled only by her longing to be loved. But Jacqueline has a secret—one that has intertwined her fate with Ethan’s for longer than he’s known.

Can destiny bring together a pirate and an angel during the season of miracles, or will a watery death by Davy Jones locker drown their love?
My Thoughts: So, here I have another pirate book.  Once again the pirate in question has all his teeth and reasonably good hygiene and I'm totally cool with that because I like men with all their teeth.  Who bathe fairly regularly.  I kinda thought that Jacqueline was a bit forward for a woman of her time but seeing as she was in her mid 20s and not married, I could handwave that.  Because, you know, to be unmarried at that age in that time was like the kiss of death.  So, she's looking for some action.  I'm cool with that.  She ends up on this pirate's ship and he's hot and cleaner than most and he doesn't have scurvy and that's a good thing.  Especially since she wants to tangle up in the sheets with him something fierce.  So all this is cool and I'm like, "I like pirates who are clean and don't have bad breath" and then the ending popped up on me and I was like "O_o  wait.  What?"

The ending goes kinda mystical and I really wasn't expecting that.  And by "really wasn't expecting that" I mean that I REALLY WASN'T EXPECTING THAT.  The book started out being a fun, little historical romance with PIRATES and ended up in the paranormal romance category.  Now, I like paranormal romance.  I read tons of paranormal romance.  I want to star in a paranormal romance (I'M FILLING OUT MY APPLICATION AS WE SPEAK!).  It just took me by surprise.

And therein lies my problem.  If a book starts out as one thing and morphs into something entirely different it takes me a bit to catch up.  I liked the book, don't get me wrong (because, PIRATES!) but I wasn't ready for this.  It like watching the movie The Frightners.  The movie starts out kinda goofy and silly and halfway through it becomes kinda scary-ish.  It was like watching two entirely different movies without having to change the disc.  For the record, I like that movie. A lot.  But the first time I watched it, I was all... "huh? what? but this isn't how it was supposed to be."  That's how I feel with this book.

Weirdly, I still like the book.  I'm confused by it, but I enjoyed it.

More books by Sandra Sookoo

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment