Saturday, December 18, 2010

Review: Ill Wind (Weather Warden #1) by Rachel Caine

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden. Usually, all it takes is a wave of her hand to tame the most violent weather. But now, she's trying to outrun another kind of storm: accusations of corruption and murder. So, she's resorting to the very human tactic of running for her life...

Her only hope is Lewis, the most powerful warden known. Unfortunately, he's stolen not one but three bottles of Djinn-making him the most wanted man on earth. Still, she's racing hard to find him-before the bad weather closes in fast...
My Thoughts: I'm going to have to say that it took me several, several days to get through the first 50 pages.  There's a big backstory dump and without knowing the how and why of Joanne's circumstances, she's a hard character to get to know.  I would read a few pages, walk away, read a few more pages, walk away.  It wasn't until the delectable David shows up that things started to get interesting.

Sexier than her Morganville Vampires series (which makes sense since it's an adult series and not YA), but still fairly tame.  However, don't let that put you off.  The betrayals and backstabbing come fast and furious and you really don't know who to trust.

I actually ended up liking the book quite a bit, it was just getting past the hurdle of that beginning.  I honestly have no idea where the rest of the series is going to go and that, quite naturally I think, makes me want to break out the rest of the series and read the crap out of it.

More books by Rachel Caine

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment