Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: Impetuous by Lori Foster

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Grade school teacher Carlie McDaniels trades in her frumpiness for the look of an exotic harem girl, at least for one costume party. So long, spinsterhood--and hello, tall, dark and handsome Tyler Ramsey....

Even after the best night of their lives, Tyler hasn't guessed the identity of his harem hottie...and Carlie plans on keeping him in the dark. After all, a gorgeous guy like Tyler would never fall for his smart-talking best friend. And Carlie's not sure she wants to know what would happen if he ever unveiled the naked truth!
My Thoughts:  Guys.  I don't know if this is the normal price or if I should chalk this up to a New Year's miracle, but this book was only .86.  EIGHTY-SIX CENTS.  It's like I stepped into a Tardis and went back to 1962 and people are smoking pot in the parking lot and if the books are too expensive in 1962 I can jump back in that Tardis and go to 1902 or 1925 or 1933 and I'll somehow find a time where ALL books are .86 and it'll be awesome.  DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW MANY BOOKS I CAN BUY WITH $10 IF THEY'RE ALL ONLY .86???

I was so excited about the price that this book could have pretty much sucked and I probably still would have had some giddy, bouncing moments.  Oddly enough, the book didn't suck.  There were things that were driving me a little crazy about it, but the writing was solid, the characters were interesting and the overall plot was intriguing.

So, what wasn't I so keen on?  Carlie's weirdly standoff-ish and almost prudish behavior.  I think I could have stood it more if she wasn't so judgmental.  Some of her observations about Tyler came off as almost hateful.  I can accept that she had issues but she spent a blistering night with this guy and she still treated him like he was a certified man-whore.  Hello, honey, you slept with him of your own free will while concealing your identity.  Get off your high horse.

Despite all that, I really did like the book.  Everything stemmed from Carlie's self-esteem issues and the fact that she doesn't want to give another person the position of power over her.  She afraid that loving someone will make her weak.  Tyler also has issues and together they somehow manage to maneuver around one another enough to end up in each others orbit.

Honestly, I liked the book.  It was fun and sexy and it had a GREAT price.

More books by Lori Foster
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Glad you found it for such a great price! And I'm glad you didn't hate it. It was my first book (reissued with a fresh cover) so yeah... even I know it had issues. :-)
    Thanks again - and Happy New Year!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete