Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: My Soul To Lose (Soul Screamers) by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5)
Synopsis (via Goodreads):
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities...
My Thoughts:
I'm backtracking and reading the short stories in the Soul Screamers series now that I've read the first book. And, boy oh boy, does it give the story more depth when you know what's coming for poor Kaylee.

I loved the continuity with the characters popping up (Nash! Yay!) and the details on the events that led Kaylee into being hospitalized. Since waking up strapped to a table is pretty much one of my worst fears, this one kinda creeped me out, btw.

The questions I have after reading this are: Do we ever find out what Lydia is? Human with psychic power or other like Kaylee? Will we ever see her again? Her gift was interesting and I kinda want to know more about it.

For a prequel short story, I was impressed with it. We got to at least glimpse most of our main characters from the series even if they don't directly interact and we got to see a piece of Kaylee's past that had been spoken of but never fully explained. Nice.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Prequel: Reaper
Book 1: My Soul To Take

More books by Rachel Vincent

No comments:

Post a Comment