Sunday, January 2, 2011

Review: My Soul To Save (Soul Screamers #2) by Rachel Vincent

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk….
My Thoughts: Although I didn't like this one quite as much as the first book, I found it fun and interesting all the same.  I really like how Nash and Kaylee are skating on the edge of getting physical and how hard it is for the two of them to pull away from each other.  I also really liked Kaylee's reservations about having sex with Nash- not that she's not necessarily ready for it (although I personally think she's not quite at that point) but rather her fear that Nash's affection for her stems from the fact that they haven't been together yet.  She's just out of reach and he's smitten because of it.  Being the foolhardy romantic that I am, I think that he's in it for more than just the sweaty clinches.  He really seems to feel something for her.  However, it makes sense that she's questioning his sudden interest.  Since the poor girl wasn't even on his radar until book 1, I'd be questioning what made me so alluring too if I were her.

As far as the mythology, I liked that we're delving deeper into what the bean sidhes can do.  I like that we're seeing the differences between what the male and females can do.  I like that we're being shown the different jobs that Reapers can hold.  I loved the idea of certain places in our world pinning down or bleeding through into the Netherworld.  It was all so well done and neat.

I'm desperately holding out for Tod to get whatever the Reaper equivalent of a Happily Ever After is.  The poor guy doesn't seem to catch many breaks.  About the only thing that has gone his way is that he gets to see his family.  Although, come to think of it, that just seems to lead to more loneliness for him.  I guess he's also been in the right place a few times as far as apprehending or bringing the bad Reapers to light, so it's not all bad for the poor guy.  But I want him to have a little sweet Reaper lovin'.  Do you hear me, Rachel Vincent?  I want Tod to get a crack at love with someone who's not going to spend eternity tortured in hell.  I'm just sayin'.

All in all, I really liked this installment.  Kaylee's showing that she's unwilling to let blatant wrongs go without trying to help, even if it puts her in danger.  This could be guilt for what her Aunt did, but I choose to believe that it's just the way she's built.  She's a good person, even if she hangs out with Reapers and other assorted supernaturals.  :)  Plus, she and Nash are hot.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Prequel: My Soul To Lose
Prequel: Reaper
Book 1: My Soul To Take

More books by Rachel Vincent

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. And you're not the only one wanting happiness for Tod. ;)

    P.S. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Vincent: You're welcome! *crosses fingers for poor Tod*

    ReplyDelete