Saturday, March 26, 2011

Review: Cinderella: Ninja Warrior (Twisted Tales #1) by Maureen McGowan

Release date: April 1, 2011
Synopsis (via Goodreads):
In this fast-paced story full of adventure and romance, Cinderella is more than just a servant girl waiting for her prince—she's a tough, fearless girl who is capable of taking charge of a dangerous situation. Seeking to escape the clutches of her evil stepmother, Cinderella perfects her ninja skills and magic talents in secret, waiting for the day when she can break free and live happily ever after. In a special twist, readers have the opportunity to make key decisions for Cinderella and decide where she goes next—but no matter the choice; the result is a story unlike any fairy tale you've ever read!
My Thoughts: Two things here: (#1) I thoroughly enjoyed the random mental picture I got just thinking about Cinderella as a ninja warrior and (#2) choose your own adventure type books don't work as well on a Kindle as you'd think.  There was a lot of paging forward and back when I wanted to see the different routes I could have taken.  That's just a little mental note to myself, though, since most people won't be reading this on their Kindle (is it even available as an ebook?) so don't let my weirdness turn you aside from trying it.

The book itself was fun.  Written for a younger audience (younger than my 30+ years, anyway), it had a sweet appeal, a likable heroine and a straightforward approach to telling the story.  The different paths you can choose all ultimately lead you to a fulfilling ending, so you don't have to worry about crashing and burning in the middle like those old school choose your owns used to do to me.  Someone please tell  me I wasn't the only one who ever had to cheat at those books.  Anyone?  Right.  Well, then.  I deny ever holding my finger on one page and checking out the different paths so that I wouldn't end up splattered like a bug at the bottom of a cliff.  I deny it unequivocally.  Absolutely.  I would never stoop to such depths.

Fun and fast, it was a different take on an old story.  Just don't try reading it on an e-reader.  You'll end up with blisters.  Or whatever the thumb equivalent of shin splints is.

More books by Maureen McGowan

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment