Sunday, March 27, 2011

Review: The Vampire's Bride (Atlantis #4) by Gena Showalter

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
He is Layel, king of the vampires, a master seducer no woman can deny. But since a rogue horde of dragons killed his beloved over two centuries ago, Layel has existed only for vengeance...until he meets Delilah. Wary of love, the beautiful Amazon wants nothing to do with the tormented vampire. Yet there's no denying their consuming desire every time he nears her.

Neither trusts the other nor can they survive alone. For in an impossible game of the gods devising, they've been trapped on an island, about to face the ultimate challenge: surrender to the passion that will bind them forever...or be doomed to an eternity apart.
My Thoughts: I've been waiting for Layel's book since he was first introduced and he didn't disappoint.  He's tormented, bloodthirsty, strong and caring all at once.  Of course, the tormented thing was mostly his own doing.  I mean, there comes a point where you have to let things go.  Right?  If you don't it'll eat you alive and turn you into a shadow of the sexy vamp-hunk you should be.  Poor Layel.  All angry and brooding and not getting sexed up for 200 years.  Come to think of it, that would make me both brooding and angry also.

One of the things I've been thoroughly enjoying with this series are the secondary romances woven throughout.  In this case, Shivawn and Alyssa.  Even Zane and Nola (who really didn't get the story I thought they deserved) had some sizzle and they were only lightly touched on.

I'm not a huge fan of the Survivor thing but I refuse to watch any type of reality show in general, so that's more me than a lack in the writing.  I did like how Layel and Delilah couldn't keep away from each other despite everyone basically telling them it was the worst idea in the history of ideas.  The longing looks, the stolen glances, the full-on eye fucking.  It made me smile.  I was also greatly amused by the way the Dragons would come rushing in to save her every time Delilah screamed in ecstasy.  You'd think after the first time they'd catch on that those breathy shrieks weren't full of pain.

Overall, I liked the book.  It was nice to finally see Layel get his happy ending (somebody tell a joke about massage parlors and happy endings here! PLEASE!) and come to terms with what happened all those years ago.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Heart of the Dragon
Book 2: Jewel of Atlantis
Book 3: The Nymph King

More books by Gena Showalter

No comments:

Post a Comment