Saturday, March 26, 2011

Review: The Nymph King (Atlantis #3) by Gena Showalter

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Enter a world of dark seduction and powerful magic . . . enter Atlantis . . .

Females young and old, beautiful and plain crave Valerian’s touch. None can resist his blatant sensuality and potent allure . . . until he steals Shaye Holling from a Florida beach and holds her prisoner in his underwater kingdom.

The cynical Shaye wants nothing to do with the mighty warlord, but she’s inexplicably drawn to him. For underneath the warrior’s arrogant beauty lies a complex and powerful man. A man whose caress is like fire . . .

Now Valerian must fight for the privilege of claiming her as his own. Because there’s one thing Shaye doesn’t know . . .
My Thoughts:  I'm really enjoying this series.  It's sexy, sweet, and action-packed.  As an unrelated aside, this might be my favorite cover in the group.  I think it's the guy's stomach.  Or the watery overtones.  Either way... niiiice.

Things I found amusing: Valerian is a total man-whore.  Sure, it's a pitfall of being a member of a universally irresistable species, but the guy opens the book in bed with three women.  Three.  Not two.  Three.  I'm totally down with that, btw.  Way to go, man-whore!  It's a given among the Nymphs that women find them attractive and are compelled to be with them.  I find that amusing.  The fact that the Nymphs have to have sex in order to remain strong amuses me as well.  Way to take that debilitating curse of hotness and make it work for you, guys!

Of course, Valerian has to want to one woman who manages to resist him.  Watching him fumble his way through actually courting a woman was a hoot.  After years of having any woman he wanted. he actually had to work for his mate.  WOE!

Admittedly, there were times when Shaye's unwillingness to bend in the face of Valerian's manly charms was a little annoying, but I liked the poor girl and was able to forgive her.  I loved the whole Brenna/Shivawn/Joachim triangle.  In fact, I just flat out loved Brenna.  I also really enjoyed seeing how our heroes from previous books (namely the Dragons) are not universally loved.  While they're not bad guys by any stretch of the imagination, there's a lot of history between the different races in Atlantis and not all of it's been good.

In a nutshell, I'm really enjoying this series and the lighthearted approach to different mythological creatures.  I can't wait to see how poor Layel makes out in his book.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Heart of the Dragon
Book 2: Jewel of Atlantis

More books by Gena Showalter

No comments:

Post a Comment