Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: Dances With Wolves (Highland Wolves) by Mandy Monroe

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Jada had lived so long in an emotional desert, mostly of her own making, that she discovered it was hard to resist the invitation Larissa sent, even though she wasn't completely comfortable with the idea. Nevertheless, Larissa's appeals didn't fall on deaf ears. She had needs she'd ignored way too long-and she was still a nervous wreck when she arrived in Scotland!

She'd thought she would be lucky to find one man she found reasonably attractive. Finding three she found completely irresistible was just a little overwhelming-fun-but still hard to handle-and that was before she discovered the wolf masks really hid the true men behind them! They weren't just wolf-like. They were wolves!
My Thoughts: You know, most of the time when I'm reading a paranormal romance book I'm like "WEREWOLVES ARE YUMMY!  SEND THEM MY WAY!  MORE THAN ONE?!?  NO PROBLEM! I'M NOTHING IF NOT ACCOMMODATING!"  I mean, I can suspend my disbelief over a lot of things.  But this book had one thing going for it that tickled my squick factor...

To start with, I have a best friend.  I have more than one, in case you're wondering, but that's not really the point.  I've never had the urge to call my BFF up and invite her to an orgy.  Seriously.  I know this might shock some of you, but the thought has never crossed my mind.  We are surprisingly candid in our discussions about sex and I've never been, "Well, I'm looking to get laid, can you hook me up?"  Likewise, she's never asked that of me, either.  That might be because she's married, though.  Once again, not the point.  The fact that Jada's best friend invited her to a sexy masquerade (which is a fancy way of saying "copious amounts of semi-anonymous sex between consenting adults, most of which takes place behind closed doors".) with the sole intention of "getting her laid" just kinda squicks me.  Really, that's friendship for you.  For the record, I always thought of an orgy as just a big, sweaty, heaving room of debauchery.  This book has proved me wrong.  They have all their sweating and heaving IN THE BEDROOM!  Well, and outside that one time, but there's no big room dedicated to the ... oh, wait.  Maybe there was.  I think it means that the books of smut are running together in my mind when I can't remember if it was this one or the other one I'm reading that had the Room of Debauchery.

I guess I need to point out that I didn't hate this book.  It was just... okay.  You know, it's the book you read between the others.  Probably the most frustrating aspect of it was the oodles and oodles of exposition, mostly expounding on the fact that Jada is infertile.  Dude.  I get it.  She can't have babies and it's tainted all the relationships she's ever had and she's insecure in her femininity because of it.

Bottom line: Didn't hate it, didn't love it.  It was just middle of the road.  The sex was pretty sexy, though.  I have to give it that.

More books by Mandy Monroe

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment