Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review: The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) by Kelley Armstrong

The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) by Kelley Armstrong
Format: hardcover
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: April 16 2011

Darkness Rising
1. The Gathering - Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle
2. The Calling
3. The Rising
3.1. Atoning

Related Series:
(find all the books in the series on the 1st book review)
Darkest Powers
1. The Summoning

Kelley Armstrong
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Strange things are happening in Maya's tiny Vancouver Island town. First, her friend Serena, the captain of the swim team, drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. Then, one year later, mountain lions are spotted rather frequently around Maya's home—and her reactions to them are somewhat . . . unexpected. Her best friend, Daniel, has also been experiencing unexplainable premonitions about certain people and situations.

It doesn't help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret, and he's interested in one special part of Maya's anatomy—her paw-print birthmark.
My Thoughts:  Have I ever mentioned that I'm a huge Kelley Armstrong fan?  Totally true, guys.  Totally.  When I first heard she was putting out a young adult series I was like .... "But will  it be as good as Elena and Clay's shenanigans?"  Of course, being a good little fangirl I bought The Darkest Powers series and LOVED IT.  Seriously, it blew me away.  I was completely enamoured of every part of it.  It was disturbing how crazed I got about it.  So when this series was announced I honestly didn't think it could live up to Chloe and the gang.

You know what?  I was wrong.  Kelley Armstrong has managed to take the mythology she established with her Women of the Otherworld series and which she expanded with The Darkest Powers series and give it a whole new spin.  I am completely in awe of her writing skills.

Maya is sassy and confident.  She's a leader without having a diva ego.  She's strong and steady and, yeah, maybe she's a little hard on herself but when it's pointed out to her she takes steps to temper that side of her personality.  Daniel is the perfect best friend.  He's there when she needs him.  He's willing to stand up for her and she's willing to let him.  Rafe is a bit of a complication in their relationship.  Although I don't necessarily see a romantic bent in Daniel's feelings for Maya, he doesn't want to see her hurt and he does see the very real possibility that Rafe could hurt her with his carelessness.

And the mythology here?  I'm in love with it.  I would marry it and have its babies if that wasn't weird and creepy.  I don't want to say too much because learning the bits and pieces as Maya does draws you in and holds you captive, but I really think it's fantastic how the mythology is growing with every book and series.

Gorgeous writing, gorgeous characters.  The only downside to this book is that I have to wait to see where they go next.

2 comments:

  1. I love Kelley Armstrong as well! I have The Gathering but I'm purposely not reading it until the trilogy is finished so I don't have to wait between books! Unusual I know...but it works for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this sitting on my bookcase I think I will have to read it next, I keep reading reviews about how great it is!

    Kelley Armstrong is a great writer, I think I've loved nearly every one of her books. Bitten is definitely one of my all time favourites.

    Jules
    (old follower)

    ReplyDelete