Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: Immortal (Clare Point #3) by V.K. Forrest

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Magnetic, fearless Fin Kahill has dedicated his life to ridding the world of its most vicious serial killers. Fin is used to roaming the earth freely - not getting stuck in sleepy Clare Point. But when the clan needs him close by, Fin agrees to take a summer job on the town's tiny police force. He expects little excitement - until he meets Elena, an ethereal Italian beauty. As Fin struggles against his feelings for Elena, the peace in Clare Point is shattered by the inexplicable murder of a tourist. The young man's throat has been cut, his body eerily posed. When the killer strikes again, Fin wonders if a member of his own clan is responsible. The only one he can turn to is Elena, but he knows that falling in love with a human can be a deadly mistake. Yet just as Fin edges closer to solving the murders, he discovers Elena may not be exactly who, or what, she appears...
My Thoughts: I think I need to make an effort in the very near future to not read the 3rd, 4th, or 5th book in a series first.  Seriously, it throws my brain out of whack and then I'm like O_o.  And sometimes if I'm really lucky I'm like this O_O.

Which isn't to say this is a bad book.  It isn't.  I just had a lot of questions as I started unraveling the mythology and some of them weren't answered until the end-ish of the book and some of them weren't answered at all.  The lack is in me, though, not the writing because (as mentioned before) I came into this series at book 3.

The biggest sticking point for me was the whole "being reborn" thing.  It wasn't until the end that I realized that they were physically being reborn.  As teenagers.  Not a rebirth from human to vampire.  Nope.  They're teenagers again.  Teenagers without the memories of their past lives.  Which seems horribly cruel to me.  Who wants to keep being dumped in a teenage body and have to go through all those awkward phases again.  Torture!

My confusion aside, I loved the ambiguous ending to the book.  It wasn't the usual happy ending and I thought it was refreshing.  I liked the mystery and the reason behind it.  I liked the characters (Oh, Regan, you idiot. *pets him*).  As you can see, there was a lot of stuff I did like.  I just had the confusion.  And this is why reading out of order is not always a good thing.  It's not always a bad thing, either.  In this case, it didn't work out as well as I was hoping.

More books by V.K. Forrest

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment