Monday, April 25, 2011

Review: Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles #1.5) by Cindy Spencer Pape

Synopsis (Goodreads):
As a member of the Order of the Round Table, Kendall Lake is overqualified to be investigating strange phenomena at a seaside photography studio. But since the photographer is related to the Order's most powerful sorcerer, Kendall reluctantly boards a dirigible to Brighton.

Amy Deland is haunted by a shadow that appears in some of her recent portraits. In each case, the subject died within days of the sitting. Does she have her grandmother's gift of foresight, or has she somehow caused the deaths?

As Kendall and Amy search for answers, their investigation draws them together in a most improper way—but it seems the evil presence in the studio is determined to keep them apart...
My Thoughts:  I just flat out like this world.  It's a fun blending of steampunk, chivalrous knights and magic.  Which is pretty much exactly what I said after reading Steam & Sorcery, so you know I'm enamoured of it when I start repeating myself.

In this short story we get to meet new characters while renewing our acquaintances with old friends.  The Hadrian brood puts in a boisterous appearance... really, though, would you expect anything less from them?  As fun as it is seeing them again, it's Kendall and Amy who give us the sexy sparks that we're expecting.

In all honesty, I felt that there was enough story here for a full length novel.  I liked everything that happened and I felt like we got a proper resolution (if not a little, teeny, tiny bit rushed) but I would have LOVED to see even more of the way Kendall and Amy were trying to dance around one another.

Fun and flirty, it was nice to slide back into this world and see how everyone's doing while trying to unravel a mystery.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Steam & Sorcery

More books by Cindy Spencer Pape

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment