Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review: No Rest for the Wicca by Toni LoTempio

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Communing with the dead is an everyday occurrence for PI Morgan Hawkes. A half-Wiccan witch who can commune with spirits of those caught between worlds, Morgan uses her talents to exorcise the trapped ghost or demon as part of the Paranormal Investigation Squad – until a string of murders with a voodoo slant prompts the Special Forces Agency to ask for her assistance.

Someone’s killing pureblood witches- and the SFA’s convinced Morgan’s heritage (her father was a voodoo priest) could be instrumental in solving the mystery. Teamed with dashing SF agent Cole St. John – an Inheritor Vampire that sets her blood racing – the two of them fight their attraction for each other as they race to stop a madman from unleashing a demonic force upon the world.
My Thoughts:  I liked this one a lot.  The mystery was intriguing and just gruesome enough to make me shudder.  Cole St. John had a fun, flirty appeal that I liked.  Morgan was interesting, although I did think she harped on her heritage a little too much at times.  For someone who didn't want to be reminded of what she was, she sure brought it up a lot.

I liked the melding of the two very different aspects of magic.  I know more about Wicca than I do about Voodoo and it was interesting to see them being woven together to make something new.  I like how a witch's intuition was such a powerful thing.  The only thing that I questioned was why Morgan would spill her guts at the slightest prodding from her cousin over a case that hinged on secrecy.  I get that Xia could have found it out on her own using her intuition, but it seems like Morgan folded without putting up much of a fight.  Honestly, it's a minor point in the story but I kept having this vision of Morgan being called on that and explaining to the chief that she told her cousin everything because she would have found out anyway.

I really did enjoy the story.  It starts out well, it picks up speed nicely and it ends with a revelation that I feel like I should have seen coming but didnt't.  Well done, Toni LoTempio.  Well done.

More books by Toni LoTempio

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment