Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen #1) by Sierra Dean

Release date: May 10, 2011
Synopsis (Goodreads):
For Secret McQueen, her life feels like the punch line for a terrible joke. Abandoned at birth by her werewolf mother, hired as a teen by the vampire council of New York City to kill rogues, Secret is a part of both worlds, but belongs to neither. At twenty-two, she has carved out as close to a normal life as a bounty hunter can.

When an enemy from her past returns with her death on his mind, she is forced to call on every ounce of her mixed heritage to save herself-and everyone else in the city she calls home. As if the fate of the world wasn't enough to deal with, there's Lucas Rain, King of the East Coast werewolves, who seems to believe he and Secret are fated to be together. Too bad Secret also feels a connection with Desmond, Lucas's second-in-command...

Warning: This book contains a sarcastic, kick-ass bounty hunter; a metaphysical love triangle with two sexy werewolves; a demanding vampire council; and a spicy seasoning of sex and violence.
My Thoughts:  Holy crumb, THIS BOOK WAS TOO MUCH FUN! (Do you see how serious I am about the amount of fun? I'm using all caps again!)  I was zipping along reading it, I couldn't put it down and then I hit the end and I almost DIED!  Yes, DIED!  Sierra Dean nearly killed me with this ending.  I am burning, itching, painfully clawing the walls to see what happens next.  (That sentence is begging me to insert a joke about itching and burning and how they have creams for that! Haha. I make myself laugh.)

Good golly!  This book was fabulous.  Secret was a bundle of energy and secrets (YES! I said 'secrets' and her name is SECRET!).  The setting was gritty and wonderfully dark.  The secondary characters wound their way under your skin.  In an entirely good way, mind you.  And the ending!  Did you hear how it almost killed me?  *deep sigh*

Gorgeous storytelling and a cast of characters that were fully developed and wonderful to spend time with.  The twists and turns will keep you glued to the pages.  The overall arc is compelling and I'm dying to see where Secret and her crew go in the next installment.

No pressure, Sierra Dean, but I'm expecting great things from you. *wicked grin*

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment