Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Review: Dark Protector (Paladins of Darkness #1) by Alexis Morgan

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Devlin Bane: Born a Paladin, he is a member of an ancient band of warriors locked in a centuries-old war against evil.

His destiny: To die over and over again to protect mankind from the Others, only to be revived each time by his mortal Handler.

But his fierce strength and courage cannot save him from gradually becoming one of the monsters he was born to destroy.

Dr. Laurel Young, who has spent years training to become a Handler, must remain detached from her patients. But each time she revives the darkly compelling Devlin Bane, he claims a little more of her soul and incites in her desires that grow wilder and wilder — even as he inches closer to losing his humanity. As the war against the Others grows more desperate, Laurel and Devlin can't help but give in to the fierce hunger that's sizzled between them for so long. Now they'll face the ultimate battle together — to save a dark, passionate love that goes against every rule as they join forces to fight an enemy who is closer than they ever
My Thoughts:  This was exactly what I was in the mood for when I picked up this book.  Metaphorically speaking because I read it on the computer.  Which, for the record, it not really the point.  What I'm trying to say is that this book gave me everything I wanted and more.  I wanted something with action.  I got that.  I wanted something with sheet-twisting shenanigans.  I got that, too.  I wanted a group of bad-ass, hard to kill warriors who protect the world from nasty critters.  I totally got that.  Bonus: These bad-ass warriors are cursed to slowly lose their humanity and turn into the very things they're hunting.  OMG! I LOVE IT!

Here's the thing, I totally thought Devlin and Laurel were awesome and had great chemistry and everything but by the time the end of the book rolled around I was more than half in love with all the secondary characters, too.  I mean, I want to freaking pet Trahern because he's just so damaged.  Yes, I know.  Once again my soft spot for emotionally closed off, completely damaged Alpha males rears its ugly head.  *sigh*  I just can't help myself.  I go all gooey when they're trying to be tough but that glimpse of pain sneaks through.

I'm going to have to read book 2 ASAP, aren't I?

Back to this book.  I love that the mystery of who's pulling the strings is left open.  I love that there were a lot of things that weren't explained regarding the Others and the world they come from.  Right now we're working on bits and pieces of information, much like the Paladins are, and the things we're being told aren't all adding up.  I keep thinking that there's a big, bad cover-up going on and I really want to get to the next book in the series to see what the next set of clues we uncover are going to reveal.

This is a fast-paced, action packed romance where things aren't always what they seem and sparks fly between the main characters.  Did I mention that I love those damaged bad boys?  True story.

More books by Alexis Morgan

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this one, too. I can't wait to read Trahern's story and yes, I so want to pet him.

    ReplyDelete