Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review: Lonestar Sanctuary (Lonestar #1) by Colleen Coble

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Though tragedy has wrecked her life, Allie Siders holds on to the hope that her five-year-old daughter, Betsy, will speak again. But with a stalker out for revenge, all Allie can think about now is their safety. She must sever all ties and abandon life as she knows it. She heads to the peaceful Bluebird Ranch, nestled deep in Texas hill country, and to the only person who can help them.

The ranch is a sanctuary for abused horses, and also for troubled youths: the perfect place for Betsy to grow and recover. Ranch owner Elijah DeAngelo eagerly welcomes the duo. But Rick Bailey--the ranch foreman and DeAngelo's right hand man--hasn't decided to let his guard down . . . yet.

Promises made long ago soon force Rick and Allie to work together to escape danger. Will they discover love along the way?
My Thoughts:  I ended up being a disappointed with this book.  Based on the synopsis, I was expecting a tense, fast-paced thriller with danger around every corner.  While the main character does face danger, I was left waiting for something horrific that never came.  Beyond that, I'm never thrilled when religious undertones pop up in a book unexpectedly.  I really have an issue with someone saying that xx happened because it was God's will.  That's my issue, though, and while I probably wouldn't have downloaded the book in the first place if I knew it had religious leanings I can't blame the book itself for a personality quirk that's entirely mine.

Like I said, I ended up disappointed with the book.  I thought Allie was an uneven character.  She goes from being fiercely protective of her daughter and refusing to let her out of her sight to leaving her with the group home kids at the drop of a hat.  And when she leaves her with the vet/pastor's family?  Did she even tell the poor kid she was leaving.  If I were an emotionally traumatized 5 year old and my mom left me with virtual strangers without letting me know what was going on I would have imploded with fear.  What can I say?  That really bothered me.

I didn't hate the book but I definitely didn't love it.  It was just okay.  But, as I said before, surprise religious undertones aren't my cup of tea.  I tried to read the book without letting it affect me but I don't care for religion in my readings.  I'm not bashing on anyone who does like that sort of thing because I'm sure that reading about sexy werewolf menages aren't what plenty of other people look at when they're looking for a good time.

I just don't think I'm the target audience here.

More books by Colleen Coble

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment