Friday, June 24, 2011

Review: Unlocked (Turner #1.5) by Courtney Milan

Synopsis (Goodreads):
A perpetual wallflower destined for spinsterhood, Lady Elaine Warren is resigned to her position in society. So when Evan Carlton, the powerful, popular Earl of Westfeld, singles her out upon his return to England, she knows what it means. Her former tormenter is up to his old tricks, and she’s his intended victim. This time, though, the earl is going to discover that wallflowers can fight back.

Evan has come to regret his cruel, callow past. At first, he only wants to make up for past wrongs. But when Elaine throws his initial apology in his face, he finds himself wanting more. And this time, what torments him might be love…
My Thoughts:  Oh, man.  This one made me cry.  And since I'm not a crier, this is kinda a big deal.  Elaine's story got to me, though.  She was trying so hard to not let the barbs and laughter get to her that she became a shell of a woman.  It was sad and terrible and Courtney Milan did a wonderful job bringing her to life and making you feel her battered pride.

Elaine was definitely a well written character but when she was paired with Evan... oh, Evan.  He was wonderful.  He admitted to his past mistakes.  He even admitted to why he started teasing her in the first place.  He took responsibility for his youthful cruelty and gave Elaine back the piece of herself that he'd stolen.  It was truly lovely and sweet and heartbreaking.

Should I stop to mention all the ways that I loved Elaine's mother?  Her clueless, sweet, brilliant mother.  The way she loves Elaine without reservation and is so caught up in her own world that she doesn't see the slights against the two of them... I just adored her.

This is a good story, guys.  A very, very good story.  Did you read that part about how it made me cry?  It was totally worth the 99 cents.  Except that now I have a stuffy nose from the weeping, which isn't so much fun.  Still, worth it.  Totally worth it.

More books by Courtney Milan

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. Courtney Milan is what I called a genius author. I discovered her when I bought the anthology with her and Mary Balogh in it. I fell in love with Ms. Milan's books right there. Thanks for sharing. She deserves the praise.

    ReplyDelete