Saturday, July 16, 2011

Quickie Review: The Warlord's Secret by Lizzy Ford

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Rissa, the tormented Warlord of Tiyan, struggles to protect her people and Tiyan’s magical springs against enemies led by the King of Landis and traitors within her own walls. She must also protect the secret of Tiyan’s magic and the source her ultimate doom: the parasitic demon lurking within her, which has awoken to kill her and choose its new host: Taran, a near-blind slave of Tiyan's enemy.

Taran's sole motivation in life is his patient pursuit of vengeance for his family's death. Coincidence lands him in Tiyan and at the center of the kingdom's power struggle. The strength of Tiyan’s army, the allure of the magical waters, and the endangered Warlord at first are nothing more than a means to an end, until he looks beneath the surface to find a world - and a woman - worth fighting for.
My Thoughts:  This story was a little uneven and sometimes the action jumped around a bit yet at the same time it was weirdly compelling.  I don't know what Lizzy Ford does to pull me in to the point where I can't stop reading, but she does it well.

Plot wise, this was an intriguing book chock full of demons and madness, warlords and honorable former slaves.  The characters would sometimes swing from one emotional extreme to another without any reason, but I found myself overlooking those flaws just so I could see how Rissa and Taran would end up getting themselves out of the mess they found themselves in.

I know the story isn't perfect but I liked it.  It kept me entertained and it was a interesting take on demons and the lengths leaders will go to to keep their people safe.

More books by Lizzy Ford

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment