Friday, July 1, 2011

Review: A Taste of Magic (Magic #1) by Tracy Madison

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Today is Elizabeth Stevens’ birthday, and not only is it the one-year anniversary of her husband leaving her, it’s also the day her bakery is required to make a cake—for her ex’s next wedding. If there’s a bitter taste in her mouth, no one can blame her.

But today, Liz is about to receive a gift. Her Grandma Verda isn’t just wacky; she’s a little witchy. An ancient gypsy magic has been passed through her family bloodline for generations, and it’s Liz’s turn to be empowered. Henceforth, everything she bakes will have a dash of delight and a pinch of wishes-can-come-true. From her hunky policeman neighbor, to her gorgeous personal trainer, to her bum of an ex-husband, everyone Liz knows is going to taste her power. Revenge is sweet…and it’s only the first dish to be served.
My Thoughts: This book was fun.  Cute books like this can really go either way with me, but this one worked.  It managed to keep itself from being too cute (which I find a little horrifying) and yet it never felt forced (my biggest pet peeve with books of this ilk).  It was fun.  Fun with magic!

I did have a few moments when Liz was experimenting with her spell casting in the beginning where I was shaking my head.  I wanted to be like the person in the movie theater watching a scary movie yelling at the dumb girl to look behind her because you could just see a world of hurt getting ready to land.  Yet, Liz managed to pull it off.  Eventually.

Nate was fun.  I thought Kevin was... well, the best word I can come up with is boring.  I liked Liz's family.  I really disliked the ex.  I don't know.  He just rubbed me wrong on a whole bunch of levels.  I disliked him enough that I've managed to completely block his name from my memory.  So, yeah.

A fast, light, fluffy read.  I would definitely say that while this genre isn't my usual cup of tea, this book wasn't bad.  I have a strong suspicion that the paranormal elements coupled with a breezy writing style and a hankering on my end to read something that didn't tax me too greatly are what elevated it for me.

More books by Tracy Madison

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment