Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

Heart of Steel (Iron Seas #2) by Meljean Brook
Format: paperback
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Iron Seas
0.4. The Blushing Bounder
0.5. Here There Be Monsters
1. The Iron Duke
1.5. Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City
2. Heart of Steel - Paperback | Kindle
2.5. Tethered
3. Riveted
3.4. Wrecked
3.5. Salvage
4. The Kraken King

Meljean Brook
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Growing up in the dangerous world of the Iron Seas, the mercenary captain of the airship Lady Corsair, Yasmeen, has learned to keep her heart hard as steel. Ruthless and cunning, her only loyalty is to her ship and her crew-until one man comes along and changes everything...
Treasure hunter Archimedes Fox isn't interested in the Lady Corsair-just the captain and the valuable da Vinci sketch she stole from him. When it attracts a dangerous amount of attention, Yasmeen and Archimedes journey to Horde-occupied Morocco- and straight into enemy hands.
My Thoughts: This is one book that kept getting pushed down my TBR pile for no reason whatsoever and now I could kick myself for waiting so long to read it. It's so FUN! Archimedes and Yasmeen are probably one of my favorite couples battling the skies at the moment. They're both ridiculously stubborn and fiercely loyal. They both love adventure and can't imagine being weighted down by a normal life. They're perfect for one another and they fit and they fight and they have this slow build up as Archimedes slowly chips away at the wall Yasmeen has built around her heart that KILLS ME.

Yasmeen is perfectly wonderful. She's so determined not to fall for Archimedes and yet she's continually charmed by his spirit and his heart. He, on the other hand, isn't afraid to tell her that he's planning on falling very hard and fast and he plans on enjoying every second of that fall. The two of them together, whether their fighting or loving, are absolutely stellar.

The world building here, as with the first book, is outstanding. The Horde's influence is still felt, the zombies are still running amok and treasure hunting is a very dangerous occupation. We got to slink into some of the abandoned cities and see how the zombies have overrun them. Frankly, this was fabulous. I do love me some broken cities and seeing how Archimedes sifted through the stories and legends to try to figure out where to look was fun.

I'm determined to read the 3rd book when it comes out. I love this series and the characters that Meljean Brook has created. I love the bad guys and the danger and the zombies. Bring it, I say! I'm ready.

8 comments:

  1. This does sound fun. I love broken cities, too. Zombies--bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Broken cites are my crack! (along with sexy sci-fi and @Rehvenge_BDB)

      Delete
  2. I have the first book in this series! It's yet another one that I neeeeeeed to read. After AS,AS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSSS! You neeeeeeed to read this series! Especially if you own the first book!

      Delete
  3. I want to read it I really do but I just can't get into Steampunk. However, I did enjoy Tarnished so maybe I will like this one too. I think I have the first one on my shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love steampunk. I love that we get this alternate reality where steam and clockworks run amok! Plus, the gadgets. THE GADGETS! *swoon*

      Delete
  4. eeeeeeeeep. I keep forgetting about this series! I lurved Rhys and Mina. I need to obtain this sucker soon and give it some love. The world-building in this series is off the charts. I was hella impressed with book 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worldbuilding was OUTSTANDING, wasn't it? It worked on so many levels.

      Delete